Winter Storage/Cover with Radar Arch . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings,

This new-2-me boat is the first I've had with a radar arch. The arch is forward pitching, and I have put a winter cover on the boat - which is not exactly the right fit, but it suffices.

Anyway, the cover goes over everything, and I was concerned about the potential for snow load applying too much weight in the wrong areas of the arch, causing some damage.

Not sure what 'best practices' are for storage with an arch, but I figured that placing some upright supports both front & back on the arch would provide any additional support it needed during winter snow, etc.

IMG_2665.JPG

Just wondering if there is collective wisdom/experience in dealing with snow load on boats with radar arches?

BTW - the winter cover is a (heavy) canvas, originally designed for the 30 foot Grady, but it seems to do the trick for this boat.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You will be fine like that. I see shrink wrapped ones that use the arch for support of the shrinkwrap, with no support under the arch, just supports for the wrap on other places.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
isnt the arch on your boat aluminum?

or is it only aluminum frame work within the fiberglass?

tpenfield

Staff member
isn't the arch on your boat aluminum?

or is it only aluminum frame work within the fiberglass?
Looks/feels to be fiberglass . . . not sure if there is any internal framework.

It has about 4-5 ft. of forward pitch to it and maybe 12" of attachment point towards the rear seating. Thus, the concern that the geometry begets a 5:1 torque ratio on the mounting area. I know many boats made in the last 10-15 years have similar arches.

Since I had the canvas cover (left over from when my brother had a Grady 305), I'd figure that I'll use it. The cover itself weighs a lot, and snow/ice tends to stick to it rather than sliding off, like shrinkwrap would.

Murphy's Law tends to rule the weather around these parts. My luck would be a huge snowfall, followed by some rain, resulting in lots of weight on the cover. Not sure the attachment point of the arch would like that.

With the cover on, it does make a nice working space for my boat projects.

captmello

Captain
you could put a cheap blue tarp over the canvas to help shed the snow load. I've done that in the past.

alldodge

Staff member
Mine is rear facing and I used a rope from bow to stern with tarp over it. That said I didn't have the snow load that you can get

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, the other alternative is for you to bring the boat down here and simply not subject your boat to snow load :D A bud has a slip at the Sarasota Yacht Club, however his VP pod has water in the gear box, so he is on the hard for a few months.

tpenfield

Staff member
Today, we are getting about 3" of snow load . . . not too bad.

alldodge

Staff member
We have 8 inches, abnormal for us. At least its stopped and going to rain this weekend

tpenfield

Staff member
And here is the snow. Supposed to rain on Sunday . . . :unsure: 🤪
IMG_2671B.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
We got about 6” on Long Island. Glad I put my winter cover on about a month ago.