Winter gardens anyone?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Its finally cooling down and am getting ready to start planting: broccoli,cauliflower,carrots,celery,onions and probably some others too.<br /> Anyone out there plant a winter garden? If so, what do you grow?<br />Bassy

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winter gardens anyone?

Green snow cones, Lemon ice, and 'Cherries Garcia'<br /><br /> :p :D <br /><br />Sorry Bassy, I couldn't resist.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Bassy, Squaw Valley is near Lake Thaoe isn't it?<br />I love my garden, so do the snails. I think I'll feed the snails and serve em up to Steve, I'll tell him that they are mushrooms!<br />My garden dosen't get enough sunshine and in the winter it gets even less. But I plant anyway! broccoli dosen't do well nor does cauliflower. I haven't tried carrots. <br />It gives me great piece of mind just to go out and get my hands in the dirt. Steve says I'm just getting into my second childhood, but i love it. BTW, the name of our street is Squaw Valley! HA HA.

tylerin

Commander

Over a dozen various fruit tree's to take care of here in SoCal and somethings growing behind the barn that appears to be budding ;)

one more cast

Captain

The only things that will be growing at my house this winter will be the snow banks, the fuel bill and my belly. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Used to have winter gardens. <br /><br />The deer will not permit it at The Hideout. They eat anything green as soon as it pops up.<br /><br />I used to grow broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, collards and peas.

ehenry

Commander

I've always done a winter garden. Turnip and mustard greens, broccoli, multiplying and sweet onions, rutabegga's, carrots, fall tomatoes, lettuce. Thats what I got in the ground right now. I may plant something else if the urge strikes me.

sangerwaker

Commander

About the only thing that grows around here in the winter is my desire for spring!

LadyFish

Admiral

It's still a little too warm here to plant but within the next few weeks or so, I intend to plant one. <br /><br />This will be my first winter garden so I'm not really sure what will do well in my zone and in the salt air.<br /><br />I know I want to plant herbs and I guess I will take a shot at some root vegetables.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Winter gardens?..Cant hardly grow anything here <br />in the summer! I Had to take my tomatoes down <br />this weekend, they are still green.<br />Its snowing here this morning, ground was covered<br />in the higher areas.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Nice to hear your responses. Yeah,Tyerlin, we have planty of THOSE gardeners up here too. This is definitely BUDDING time of year. Some days when the wind is just write you can smell the skunk. Don't know where it is but its around. ;) steve n carol - No, we're the original Squaw Valley east of Fresno down the hill from the big parks; Sequoia and Kings Canyon. I've had that question asked a dozen times at least. I love the name of your street. Very cool!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

"Biologic" garden about 40 yards from my stand.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

bassy, close to Dunlap. We are still thinking about moving there! (its the turkeys), hahaha<br />-carolyn

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Ladyfish,<br />Not knowing how cold it gets in your parts, but a good start to a winter herb garden may be Corriander, Parsley (Curl or Flat), Mints (slow), and all the greens (Mizuma, Endive, Mustards, Fenugreek, Kale and Swiss Chards etc).<br />Chives (both types) and eschallots may also go ok, along with Lemon Balm. Lemon Grass and French Tarragon struggle. Forget Russian or Winter Tarragon - little flavour.<br />Basils are a problem, especially Thai, Lemon, Line, but Sweet or Genoa may survive (grow slowly) if sheltered from cold. Frost will finish them. Keep them dry as Black Spot is a death sentence for them. Rig up a couple of wire hoops and cover with a plastic bag (big) to protect them. We have similar called Cloche Frames<br />There are many others, but that is a start.<br />Hope it is helpful in your situation.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks Phil. I'm in Zone 9 and we rarely get below 50 degrees even at night. We haven't had a frost here in at least 10 years. It is our wet season however.<br /><br />I will definetly try herbs but what about root vegetables? Will it be too wet?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Ladyfish,<br />Your Min temp over winter is similar to ours.<br />Not sure of the root crops. <br />If it is very wet,just make sure your soil is free draining. <br />Not knowing your situation, easiest way to have free draining is to mound your rows, as in make them high row. <br />Quite easy to do with the shovel. Just like building a mound, but in a long line.<br />My 10yr old even grows beans at that time of the year.<br />You should be able to get away with tomatos too, both large and cherry.<br />here is a little secret re tomatoes. When you find an exceptionally nice tomato, take out the seed, spread it on a handy towel, put in kitchen window to dry in sun, and hey presto, you have a seed source. <br />If you can't remove seeds from handy towel, no worries, plant the lot in a small tray (with holes), keep moist, then ***** out the seedlings when 1st set of leaves developed, and plant out.<br />Remenber to keep some seed for 2nd crop. Plant them when 1st crop is fruiting. taht way you have a constant supply. if you get caught with excess, sauce, relish and chutney's are a great way to go. We have a cupboard full of it.<br />If you have a lot of rain, that is what brings on the fungus Black Spot to Basil. <br />Hence keep it covered. Black Spot is easily identified. You get black spots on the leaves which spread quickly, and the plant Karks it.<br />Let me know if you want any other help.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

steve n carol <br /> Dunlap is right on up the hill; 5 minutes away. <br /> We're really growing up here. Alot of new people building new homes. Its kinda nice,but I sure hope it doesn't grow too much. I like my space. :D Know what I mean?<br /> Water is a problem this year. The drought has really given people problems. They're having to redrill their wells and having to haul water to their homes. Good thing we have a spring that keeps our water at 30 ft. <br />Bassy