Winner manufacturer and parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I've recently purchased a Winner Wildcat with a 140 hp Volvo Penta. I think it's a 1980 model. I am looking for spare parts for Winner boats but i can't find anything about the Winner manufacturer and where it's build. Who can help me out and teach me some history about Winner boats? And if you can buy any spare parts of this boat. I'm located in the Netherlands, Europe so it will be though to get some parts I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance!

Gertjan

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For the most part, boat builders fabricate the hull and outsource everything else to third party suppliers, drive systems included.

Given the age of your boat, direct replacement parts are going to be hard, if not impossible to find for your boat.

Some information on Winner can be found here

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Made in the USA I believe.----Many of the " Winner " boats do not use wood in the stringers.----They did use plywood in the transom.----Replaced a transom on one ( wildcat 18' ? ) about 12 /15 years ago.----I worked at a dealer one time that sold a few in the mid 1970's.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is some very interesting information on this website. I got it from the patent# on the back of the hull. It shows wood in the floors. From what I can tell it's 1/2" plywood with fiberglass on the top and bottom on the floor. The transom seems like it has 3/4" plywood. My boat has plywood backer under the gunnels and in the back. It looks like about 1/2" plywood. All in good condition. The only way to get boat hardware is aftermarket. Winner has been out of business for many years but is commonly considered a very well built and durable boat. In it's early years Winner built boats for the navy to use offshore cuz they could drop they from planes and they wouldn't break apart. So far I love mine. They are a one piece design which I prefer. That means there is no seem between the hull and the cap. It's all one piece.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3663976A/en

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No seam between hull and cap ??----The one I did had those individual flotation pieces packed under the floor.----About the size of a small loaf of bread.-----And there were many of them.

Brob

Recruit
Dickson, Tennessee was the home of a boat builder for many years. Winner Boat came into being at Trenton, New Jersey prior to World War II. In 1947, they were one of the earliest producers of all fiberglass boats in a regular production operation.

Around 1958, Wizard Boats of Costa Mesa, CA built a branch manufacturing plant at Dickson. Soon afterwards, they purchased WInner Boats at Trenton and moved its operation to Dickson. For a short period the combined operation was known as Wizard-Winner Boats. The Wizard name was dropped not too long afterwards, however, and she became known as Winner Boat. Her line of fiberglass pleasure boats expanded to inlcude runabouts, small fishing boats, and cabin cruisers.

In November 1977 Winner Boat was purchased by Thompson Boat, Inc. of Peshtigo, Wisconsin. The Dickson plant at First and Pickert became known as "Winner by Thompson." By the summer of 1978 Thompson decided to close down the plant. They moved molds and other production equipment to Wisconsin and auctioned off the remaining assets in June or July 1978.

Thompson continued to use the WInner name to describe those products that originally came from Dickson for a number of years. In fact, Thompson continually registered the name "Winner Boat" up through circa 1991.

In the meantime, Ned Momany revived the Winner Boat name at Dickson in 1980. He had been employed by the original Winner at Dickson previously. The "new" Winner Boat operated at Dickson throughout the 1980s before sucumbing to hard economic times. It is not known how two companies were able to use the "Winner Boat" name simultaniously; Winner Boats owned by Thompson and Winner Boats of Dickson.

Status
Not open for further replies.