Windshield

geomarq

Cadet
Does anyone know the best way to bend/form Lexan? I'd like to make a custom fit windshield for my center console I've built but the propane torch to the Lexan (1/4") idea I had boils and ruins it. Not sure if a heat gun will work or not, or if I'll have to get something made for me...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Windshield

People who make custom shaped plexi and lexan items use ovens and infrared lamps To evenly heat/soften it to exact temps, then fit it over a mould/buck.<br /><br />It is a delicate operation and must be done "just right" to avoid distortion and fogging.<br /><br />I wouldn't try it unless I had plenty of time, could afford plenty of waste and could still save plenty of bux.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

BillP

Captain

Search this web site ... http://www.fiberglassics.com <br /><br />There is a guy there who did his own windshield and posted pics and step by step proceedures. That was a month or two ago. He used a heat gun and lexan type material from HomeDepot. <br /><br />I am having a local shop do a new shield for an old 17' classic glass soon. The owner uses a heat gun and the old windshield for a form. He has been doing plastics for 30 yrs and knows the trade well. This is the one off low tech way. I think the key is not using too much heat.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

geomarq, could you please send me an email? I'm building a 21' aluminum CC and had a few questions. Thanks, kglattha@choice.net

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I will be in the same "boat" when I get to that stage of my center console coversion. I am torn between just buying a premade windshield from Overtons or whoever, or making it. A heat gun can work, you just have to be careful and get it nice and soft before you go for the bend. I've done plexi bending before, but its been awhile. I built a set of plexi speakers and had to bend all sorts of plexi, and the heat gun worked fine. You can polish out any fogging that may occur. Still, after factoring cost of plexi plus time spent, it comes out pretty equal to just buying a premade winshield.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Geomarq, be sure to read all the suggestions above, especially regarding cost.<br />I tried before and after I shattered plenty of sheets, I found out I had an ugly one that did cost 3 times as much as a new one from a catalog.<br />From now on, I'll just buy them pre made.

Skintback

Cadet

Can anybody point me in the rigt direction, as to where I can find a catalog for replacement winshields? I have a 1979 Skeeter Starfire<br />thanks

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is also a write up for both making a windshield and making a cheap oven to form it in the backyard mechanics section of fiberglassics.com It works well....I did the write up after making 2 windshields for my boat for a total cost of $75 including both the windshields and the oven.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will leave a link to the web page tonight. The web page has it in Word format and in 3 sections. I also have it in PDF format with all 3 sections together if anyone wants that they can e-mail me and I will send it. My e-mail is bhalsdorf@mecanex.com