Windshield hinge pin removal

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just had the hinge on my walk through windshield break. It appears to have an aluminum channel on both the standing and moving part of the windshield held together with pins which both sheared. Now I can't get the remnants out of the channels so that I can replace them. Tried driving them out of the removed middle section with nails, but they wouldn't budge with significant force. No way I can get the nubs out of the fastened windshield with it on there I fear. I'm guessing I'm going to have to drill it the rivets holding the channels on and try to find a better punch, but don't need another lengthy project...
Standing part of windshield IMG_20230720_191203.jpg

Close up of channel that pin sits in.IMG_20230720_191004.jpg

This little nub is ungrabbable
IMG_20230720_190859.jpg

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
That's a steel pin? Is it possible to weld something to it to pull on?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pins are aluminum. I have a whole windshield assembly with a center window from a late 80's something, however its black. can look at it on Sunday when we get back from beignets and muffalettas this weekend in NOLA to see how I can pull it apart and get it to you

nola mike

Vice Admiral
pins are aluminum. I have a whole windshield assembly with a center window from a late 80's something, however its black. can look at it on Sunday when we get back from beignets and muffalettas this weekend in NOLA to see how I can pull it apart and get it to you
The big issue is not the replacement, seems easy enough. Even with a new center piece (actually I removed one pin) the problem is the fixed portion that has limited access and is more precarious. Yes, just an aluminum rod. It's the disassembly, which I can't figure out. I wonder if trying to drive it out is making the aluminum deform/expand in the channel? Just wonderin if theres a trick to it. Unfortunately it sounds like a project.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Sinked boat?

Step 1: sell boat

step 2: buy new boat

3: repair as needed

Enjoy!

flashback

Captain
Might be able to Dremel the rod with a cutting wheel, cut a slot in it then try and knock it out?