Window gasket replacement

dness

Cadet
Does anyone have a good source for rubber or vinyl gaskets that hold the glass into a fixed aluminum frame? I have a 1989 Hydra-sports 22' walkaround cuddy with two trapezoid shaped windows and the vinyl strips that hold the glass in have all shrunk about 1/2" from each end and need to be replaced.... windows leak. I've called the factory...no help, looked on-line, no luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Window gasket replacement

Welcome to iboats.

Just about any glass shop should be able to accomodate you with a wide selection of the correct stuff.

If you do it yourself try to restretch the old stuff that has shrunk. Once it is out of the frame it will stretch but if it is not installed tight it will shrink back. There is a certain amount of glue, sealant, or even double sided cleear tape that needs to help it stay in place in the channel (not much but some).

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ive just gone thourgh this old winsheild stuff, if you have a talor made product they put the model number of the winsheild in the frame near the rear. Call them up and more than likely they will have a replacement part........just a thought, good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Or,........
Just put a small dab of 5200, or whatever chaulking you prefer in the small gaps...........

dness

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys, The old vinyl is too hard and stiff to re-stretch. Taylor looks like they might have a piece that could work although it is not the same shape as my original piece. Yes I spent a bunch of time at the local glass shop (my cousin owns one) and he looked through tons of catalogs.....nothing matches. So....if all else fails looks like some nice black caulking will have to do...I was just hoping for a nice neat original fit. Anyone else got another source???