Winch-zilla: Strap or cable?

gdeangel

Seaman
Based on material strength, I always thought galvanized cable would have more pulling power than a strap (not considering load torsion and shear forces, just straight up tensile strength) .

I was poking around on the forums here for ideas about my persistent difficulty winching up, and it seems like perhaps the right strap would actually be stronger, or at least more durable than cable.... yes or no?

Are folks here with ~20' boats using 3" strap, 2 1/2" strap, cable, or other for regular trailering?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winch-zilla: Strap or cable?

We mostly see straps now. The cables have a tendency to not wrap around the winch barrel uniformly. But I would think either will perform well within the limitations of a hand crank winch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you're having trouble winching the boat onto the trailer, a different cable or strap won't make any difference. What difficulties are you having?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

With cable, you can use a single reduction pulley and hook at the bow eye and winching will take half the effort--twice as long but half the effort. Can't do that with straps. That's why I still have cable on my power winch.