Winch Woes

Icicle

Cadet
So, I installed a new (and by new, I mean new in box never used, but came with the boat and is at least 2 years old) hand winch. When trailering the boat this weekend, the piece that holds it in locked position broke. Any ideas how to safely secure a winch handle without buying a new winch? This whole event has me thinking maybe there is a safer way to do this than trusting one of the primary methods of holding the boat to the trailer to a small piece of metal holding some gears. Ideas to do this right? Do they make something that attaches to the trailer and holds the winch handle? Or should I stop trying to reinvent the wheel and see if i can get parts or buy a new one?

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Winch Woes

A lot of people will add a short piece of chain or other things as a safety back up.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

Redundancy is the key.

The winch strap keeps it form going Backwards and/or Up.
A safety chain backs up the winch.
Positioning the Bow eye Under the Bow Stop prevents it from going Forward and/or Up.
Transom straps hold the aft in place and prevent it from going Backwards.

A single failure will still be reasonably safe with redundancy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Replace it with a nice heavy Fulton winch, or a Dutton-Lainson winch.

Then use a safety chain or bow tie-down strap to secure the boat.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just add a safety chain and use the transom straps and u have 2 back up in the event of failure of the winch

superbenk

Commander

Winches aren't that expensive, buy a new one that's properly sized for your boat. That ratchet mechanism is also a safety feature when cranking your boat onto the trailer or holding it on the trailer while backing down the ramp after removing other straps/chains.

Oh ya, make sure you're using the other straps & chains. They shouldn't be considered optional add-ons, but required safety gear.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

did the pawl actually break, or did the small little spring which holds the pawl in place break.

I have replaced that spring a few times on various winches.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The fact that the pawl failed while trailering brings up a point of greater concern, and that is the pressure it's under when you winch up the boat. If it fails in that process, not only does the boat launch itself out of control, but you have a dangerously whirring handle whacking you under the chin or elsewhere.

Which is why my helpers hold the bow line until the safety chain is on, or if I am alone, I tie off the bow line, usually to the winch stand--also to guard against the failure of the strap, hook or bow eye. I've had two out of the three fail.

this may not be a concern for power loaders, but it's very important for those of us who use roller trailers and who actually use our winches.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm surprised your trailer didn't also have a safety chain along side the winch.

Icicle

Cadet

did the pawl actually break, or did the small little spring which holds the pawl in place break.

I have replaced that spring a few times on various winches.

The pawl broke.

and to answer previous posters, it is a Fulton, I do have transom straps, I do have a safety chain, My wife was holding the bow (and stern) lines the whole time, all the way until it was securely on the boat. I'm just irritated something broke that was presumably high quality, and brand new :facepalm:

UncleWillie

Captain

Have you contacted FULTON?

Regardless of the actual age, They may be very interested and concerned that the primary safety device of their product failed right out of the box! The strap, gears, and bearings usually wear out long before the Pawl ever gives a problem.

A picture would be interesting! The actual Pawl Broke or did it fall off?