Winch Post setup and trailer roller questions..

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Winch Post setup and trailer roller questions..

The new picture you posted is much clearer, better perspective.
In this picture the boat looks much more level and also doesn't look as though there is as much room to lower it w/o fender clearance becoming an issue.

Somehow those brackets for the keel rollers needs to be addressed. As roscoe stated there should be 2 bolts going through the bracket. One above and one below. Does the other roller bracket have slots cut in it to adjust the hieght? If so new fasteners and lock washers may fix that one.

My opinion, the winch post is too short for your boat and from the looks of it there really isn't much you can do with the one you have and still be secure.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please don't let anyone weld on your galvanized trailer. It will ruin the trailer and is dangerous to weld galvanized.

Also, man up. Newborn or not, the work has to get done :D
Why does welding the galvanized trailer ruin it? And how is it dangerous, besides the noxious gas thing. Not being a smartazz, just need the info. I was about to weld mine.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Why does welding the galvanized trailer ruin it? And how is it dangerous, besides the noxious gas thing. Not being a smartazz, just need the info. I was about to weld mine.

It doesn't ruin the trailer in anyway, this is one of those Ford versus Chevy battles that have been beaten like a dead horse on this site, there is nothing wrong with welding a galvanized trailer using the proper welding techniques and safety precautions that are well known in the industry.

The problem is that sometimes you get the backyard handy men that want to cut corners and invariably get themselves hurt or worse and then blame society of course there are exceptions though. As I said there is no reason not to weld a galvanized trailer or anything galvanized for that matter using proper welding techniques and safety precautions.

Roscoe has his opinions and he has every right to them but in this case the industry supports otherwise.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

to add to the Ford v Chevy type debate, many of us here maintain that "transom savers" are completely unnecessary and you can trailer just fine with the motor on the tilt lock bracket. Others disagree. Don't think either camp needs to say more than that on the subject.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

to add to the Ford v Chevy type debate, many of us here maintain that "transom savers" are completely unnecessary and you can trailer just fine with the motor on the tilt lock bracket. Others disagree. Don't think either camp needs to say more than that on the subject.

The argument against them is that "I've been trailering up for a gazillion years and haven't hurt anything ever".

On the other side of the coin, I've seen one transom fail because of using the tilt bracket. For me, one is enough!

Thalasso

Commander

Nothing wrong with welding galvanize. Did it for years. The only thing is you will have to paint the weld area because it will start rusting.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. After I have it all welded up, I intend to paint the whole thing anyway.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The argument against them is that "I've been trailering up for a gazillion years and haven't hurt anything ever".

On the other side of the coin, I've seen one transom fail because of using the tilt bracket. For me, one is enough!

Yeah, because this is definitely the appropriate place to start arguing about transom savers:facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander

Thanks for the tips. After I have it all welded up, I intend to paint the whole thing anyway.

You will have to etch the trailer before you primer or the paint will peel off.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, because this is definitely the appropriate place to start arguing about transom savers:facepalm:

Posts 24 & 25 respectfully state different opinions on the subject. No arguments by either.

It IS an appropriate place because it speaks directly to the Original Poster's second question.

NYBo

Admiral

What about simply having the strap come off the bottom of the roller and passing it under the bow stop?

Fishatron

Cadet

well i tinkered around with the trailer parts a bit tonight (had a spare 20 mins! wow)

Rotated the first keel roller bracket to how it was origianlly when I bought it. Somehow it unded up rotated towards the stern.
Here's before:
trailer1.jpg

Here's after:
trailer3.jpg

I wanted to lower and move the forward rollers inward (only worked on one side for now), the nuts were a little stubborn and simply twisted
trailer2.jpg

Had to cut the U bolts and removed the one side front roller until i can replace the U bolts.

I carefully loosened the winch and stern straps and was able to push the boat backwards and managed to get the bow eye closer to where it should be.
trailer4.jpg

I'll get this right sometime

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't ruin the trailer in anyway, this is one of those Ford versus Chevy battles that have been beaten like a dead horse on this site, there is nothing wrong with welding a galvanized trailer using the proper welding techniques and safety precautions that are well known in the industry.

The problem is that sometimes you get the backyard handy men that want to cut corners and invariably get themselves hurt or worse and then blame society of course there are exceptions though. As I said there is no reason not to weld a galvanized trailer or anything galvanized for that matter using proper welding techniques and safety precautions.

Roscoe has his opinions and he has every right to them but in this case the industry supports otherwise.

This is what I was referring to.

As far as ruining it, I guess that was a bit harsh, but it will effect the galvanized finish.

And I see no reason to weld it. If its properly fastened, it won't move.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

looks like you are on the right track.... You can still raise the winch stand a little if you need to also.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will have to etch the trailer before you primer or the paint will peel off.
I was just going to use an etching primer (red oxide).. Would that be good enough?

Thalasso

Commander

I was just going to use an etching primer (red oxide).. Would that be good enough?

red oxide is good.red for steel and Zinc cromate for aluminum. Clean all metal really well.(grease-wax etc.)

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great, Thanks man.

Fishatron

Cadet

when I was looking for a boat, this package caught my eye mainly because of the galvanized trailer. The Yamaha OB helped too!
I figured I was basically buying the trailer and the OB, with a free boat...

NYBo

Admiral

I think you've pretty much got it.