Winch Post/Keel Roller Bracket

Cox

Seaman
I have a 1986 bass Tracker Trailer for my '86 Pro-Guide V16. I bought the whole rig used a little under a year ago. The keel roller bracket is bent just a bit left of center which causes the winch strap to buckle and wind up off-center. The problem I'm having is that the Keel roller bracket is welded to the winch post which means the entire piece needs to be replaced. I was able to find Keel Roller brackets at places like BPS and Cabelas but they don't sell the Winch Posts there. I talked to a guy in the parts department at BPS, figuring since they sell Tracker boats they could help, but that was basically a no-go. The guy said the boat was too old to still find parts for. I tried a few other marine places with similar results. Now, I'm new to this, and I doubt that everyone I'm talking to is wrong and I'm right, but it just seems like I should be able to find something remotely in the same ballpark as what I'm looking for. I've looked at a bunch of different setups and while they are somewhat different from mine, I've got to think there's a close enough comparison out there that would work for me.

The Winch Post extends up 11" to where the winch is mounted. The Keel Roller bracket comes off at a slight angle, which many do, but isn't more than another 10" or 11", which should be easily solved with the various adjustable Keel Roller Brackets that are sold in most places. Am I missing something, or is a realistic solution? Basically the answer I've been given by two different guys is to buy a new trailer....that seems nuts. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've always received excellent feedback/advice in these forums so I figured it would be worth the post.

Thanks!

bass striker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Winch Post/Keel Roller Bracket

My best suggestion is to find a local person or shop that does welding and have the old one either bent or replaced by cutting off the old one and rewelding some new brackets on.
Its steel and easy to do just need the correct tools.
Any farmer or someone that races stock cars or even a body shop but the best bet is a blacksmith shop is usually the cheapest and all around tool source if you dont know any of the above to do it.