winch distance on trailer tongue

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 19.5' Bayliner sitting on a galvanized<br />Magic bunk trailer. Right now, the transom of the boat lines up with the end of the bunk. <br /><br />The problem is, I tow this with my 1992 Aerostar and cannot open the back hatch all the way. I am thinking of moving the winch/main roller further back along the trailer to allow me to open the hatch. But how far can I move it without the causing any problems with the boat?

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: winch distance on trailer tongue

You'll need to have the transom supported. Moving a boat so far back that the transom overhangs and is unsupported can cause some problems since so much weight is riding on it.<br /><br />Something that might give you a extra few inches up front is put a Bulldog brand hitch on it. They are a little longer than the common trip over latch type.

sangerwaker

Commander

Be careful. Moving the winch assemby back will change (lighten) your tongue weight and change the balance on your trailer. Too light of tongue weight will cause your trailer to sway at higher speeds. You want to maintain roughly 10% of your total weight (boat+motor+trailer+gas+gear) at the tongue.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with sanger. you need at least 10% of the weight on the hitch. also with the transom unsupported you might cause the hull to develope a "hook" in the latter part of the hull, thus affecting your ability to bring the boat to a plane.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I will leave it as it is then and look at extending the front end. <br />Thanks for the replies.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by 2MADAKAT:<br />[QB] I have a 19.5' Bayliner sitting on a galvanized<br />Magic bunk trailer. Right now, the transom of the boat lines up with the end of the bunk. <br /><br /> I haven't seen many boats sit that far up on a trailer. Is your tongue weight about 150/200 pounds tops? Two people should be able to lift it easy. If not, move it back. And as an amazing thought, why not stop at a trailer place first, or even U-Haul will look at it. They do this kinda stuff day in and day out.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem with my trailer which I have fixed by installing a sliding extension.<br />The drawbar is 4" hollow box so I got some box section that fitted inside it and marked the trail position then got a machine shop to drill down through both for a 3/4" tractor draw bar pin.<br />I can now extend the drawbar a further 40" to help launching etc on a flat ramp if I need.<br />I try to have no more weight on the tongue than what I can lift easily on my own. <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter