Wilma Relief

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted this at other sites, am I crazy? Is common sense too much to expect?<br /><br />Read on both Fox and CNN this morning that relief is slow to get to S. Florida. As I type this, it is Wednesday morning, Wilma hit on Monday morning. People are standing in line for 10+ hours to receive 1 bag of ice and 3 liters of water. Their cry?<br />"Where is our relief?!"<br />My Cry?<br />"Where is your personal responsibility?!?!"<br />First off, I live in the Pensacola, FL area.<br />People in Florida know that we live in a hurricane prone area. We know that the Hurricane season runs from June through November. We get ample warning when a severe storm is approaching. These don't just pop up out of the clear blue sky and surprise us.<br />The people in S. Florida were told to stock up on three days worth of essentials. Yet, not two full days later, they are crying because their government is not there to save them. <br />Last year, I stayed put for Hurricane Ivan. No power for two weeks. I finally had to venture out to find water after 8 DAYS. This July I stayed put for Hurricane Dennis. No power for four days. I never had to leave the house for supplies.<br />I have a generator and stock up on water, gasoline, propane and food. Why can't people take responsibility for themselves?!?!?!?<br />I understand that this article is not representative of everyone. I also know that not everyone can afford a 5500w generator. But everyone can buy extra water and canned food.<br />During hurricane season, I stock a week's worth of water and food, about 75 gallons of gasoline, and at least one full propane tank for the grill.<br />My hat's off to Everglades City, FL. They were hit hard by Wilma and when inteviewed, their spokesman (I don't remember if it was the Sheriff, Mayor, or Police Chief) stated that FEMA had not shown up, they didn't need FEMA, and Everglades City citizens would take care of themselves and each other.<br />That is the example that we need to show all the whiners!<br />Americans need to get back in the mindset that we are tough and can fend for ourselves. We will take care of our fellow citizens that need it. And we aren't going to wait for the FEMA trucks to roll in before we begin to clean up, rebuild, and live again.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Wilma Relief

[sarcasm]why should we fend for ourselves...isn't that what government is for.....they owe us [end sarcasm]<br /><br />that's becoming society as a whole. Want someone else to be responsible.....

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Friz, I have one comment. We did all that you do in preparation and more. We came back to no house, no supplies, or anything but the clothes on our backs and the car we evacuated in.<br />FEMA, the National Guard, the Red Cross, and, most importantly the Churches were a Godsend to the thousands of people in the same situation. We never dreamed that MREs would taste so good.<br />Your self-righteous attitude betrays your lack of experience.<br />Bill...

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Friz:<br /> I posted this at other sites, am I crazy? Is common sense too much to expect?<br /><br />
Yes, yes you are. :)

D

DJ

Those people had ten days to prepare for the onset of that storm. Wilma has been the most predictable storm (hurricane) to date.<br /><br />I have NO mercy for "idiocy".

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

In the aftermath of the storm, i have seen the entire spectrum of humanity, from the RedCross volunteers and national gaurd, to the looters and able-bodied helpless.<br /><br />I am not talking about those with "special needs". They are under the direct care of the feds and local government, and have been since before the storm hit -- At least, those who let (or had it done for them) their needs be known well in-advance of the storm's landfall are.<br /><br />Those who expected helicopters to pluck them from death in 115MPH winds are angry today. I say, let them be angry! They are idiots. <br />There was a wind surfer who had to be rescued 2 hours before landfall. As it turns out, this same moron had to be rescued durring Charley by doing the same stupid thing! Why does compassion overule natural selection? Because we are human, i guess. But i will not let them come here and cry about the lack of assistance. As it appears, i am not alone. I love this site and it's membership at large. Y'all are real people :) <br /> I am just venting, having been thru the eye of hell in the last few days. From where i sit, (finally), the self-reliant people dug-out and did what they had to do. I see the lines of people waiting for ice and food, and ask myself, "after more than a week of knowing this thing was comming in their general direction, why werern't THEY prepaired?"<br />The old "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" proverb has proven-out in real life, real time here in Florida before my eyes.<br /><br />Those able-bodied masses who have always been dependent upon the government in the past, are hoplessly lost now.<br />While government and utilities center on helping those with special needs and EMSP operational needs, an entire sub-culture of humanity is standing in a stupid line, waiting to be HANDED what they need, just to get thru another day!!<br /><br />I don't fault them individually. I feel sorry for them, as it is the likely the only response to desaster they know. It has been what they were taught from childhood, and their faith surely is now shattered.<br />I met a couple of women just before the storm made it's landfall on Cacun, who had 5 weeks in a highrise on Marco Island...I was inspecting the fire equipment in the building, when they came down to the lobby and told the Consierge (SP), "we are outta here! We'll call down here if we plan on returning".<br />They caught a flight out while the airport was still open. Granted, they were "well-healed". But htey were also smart. And besides,i also waved goodbye to my unemployed neighbor, as he left for parts north, fleeing the storm.<br />He didn't have to leave, but fealt it was safer.<br />Even the homeless were given free transport when it was requested. Shuttles only stopped when the winds got too strong to continue a route!<br /><br /><br />A hurricane will teach this: NO man-made governmemt can provide even the most basic needs of it's population when the chips hit the fan.

D

DJ

12'r,<br /><br />Another item we agree upon.<br /><br />As we sink further, into the "welfare/nanny state", it's pathetic to know that we have to pay for the wellbeing of these MORONS.

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

byordy - No offense intended and I'm sorry that you saw it as a slam to everyone. It was not meant in that respect.<br />You evacuated MS in the path of Katrina (I'm supposing). That was (I'm sure) your best and safest response. When you returned, did you return empty-handed and just pull up to the nearest relief station? Somehow I doubt it.<br />We can't always prepare for everything. I think that you will agree that Wilma was not nearly as devastating as Katrina and that not everyone fits into the category that I described in my post.<br />We, as a society, have learned to depend on the government for all of our needs and wants. There are some obstacles that the richest and most powerful organization on Earth can't overcome. We need to rely on ourselves, our neighbors, our families, and our local communities and be a team instead of individuals that "need".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, Jeb Bush doesn't get it.<br /><br />During a speech asking FL residents to be patient he let one slip.<br /><br />He reminded them that they had plenty of time to get out and plenty of time to stock up on supplies. He missed the chance to remind them that they live in FL by choice.<br /><br />How stupid. Let me explain a few things to Jeb.<br /><br />Why should someone go out and spend money or burn gas to get out or stock up on supplies? Just hang around and the Guvmint will give you supplies FREE! If you lose your house the Guvmint will give you one, FREE!<br /><br />Furthermore: You might get to be on TV whining about being abandoned by those "responsible" for your well being. The media will offer you "victim of the month" coverage.<br /><br />Get real, Jeb. Sad as it may be, that is what is real today. :(

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Friz,<br />I'm a little touchy right now. We live in "never flood" area in Diamondhead and were prepared with about two weeks worth of food & water, about 100 gallons of generator gas spread among gas cans, the boat, and the airplane. I expected upon return to cut my way in, crank up the generator, and begin to put things back into order. What I found upon return was a destroyed house, hangar, airplane, boat, and three cars. Worse yet the entire neighborhood is destoyed. I had an estimated 13 feet of water across my property. So much for the supplies that we stocked up with. Our neighborhood is closely knit however, and we all looked after each other. JB, you may look down your nose at those who accepted the free water, food, and clothing, but those of us who are actually living this disaster are deeply appreciative. Our Church was serving about 1000 meals a day. I wish you would direct me to the free housing. It's costing me a lot of money to replace the house we lost. Those of you who have actually delt with flood insurance will know what I mean. Flood insurace covers only the dwelling and the depreciated value of the contents. Because of the area we lived in flood insurance was not a requirement. Thank God we purchased it anyway, "to be prepared". <br />Having said that I too watch the news and just shake my head at some of the things I see. The national media however, does not report the good things that are happening. From your location I know that you have some experience with disasters and as you know something like this brings out the best, and the worst, in people.<br />Let's move on.<br />Bill...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Byordy. I was addressing Florida and Wilma.<br /><br />You did what you could and what seemed reasonable to deal with what was expected once in 500 years.<br /><br />Given a long enough life we all get clobbered by the unexpected eventually and if we keep our lives, spirit and resourcefulness we have not lost everything. House, cars, boats, airplanes are merely "stuff". Stuff can be replaced and, in a pinch, can be lived without. Been there, and nobody, Guvmint included, came around with a hind teat to help me out.<br /><br />I do not begrudge you any help you get from donors and taxpayers. The ones I begrudge are the ones who didn't make the good decisions you did and are getting aid they could have avoided needing. . . .instead of guys like you.<br /><br />I don't look down my nose at anyone, but I do call them as I see them. It was, and is, decisions made from a dependent victim posture that I criticise. You didn't do that, so you are not included.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB<br />As I said I'm a bit touchy now. You are absolutely correct in that stuff is only stuff and can be replaced. It's interesting how much of the stuff we actually want to replace. Insurance will cover the cars & airplane. I was self insured on the boat so I have no complaints there. Our house was furnished with family furniture, pictures, and momentos, and while that is not just "stuff" and is irreplaceable, we'll have the memories.<br />Karen and I have been blessed through all of this, so many people have it much worse than we do. We have the resources to pick up and go on, so many people don't.<br />Life is good.<br />Bill...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Are you guys really surprised by the amount of people that dont have enough sense to put aside some food and water?<br /><br />However, there are some people that are fixed inclome and just dont have the means to stockpile food. You may think, its only 20 dollars worth, but 20 dollars may break the bank for some people.<br /><br />I am with 12 footer, I do feel sorry for these people.<br /><br />I wonder how many of those people in line really are starving/thirsty? I think sometimes they wait in line just cause they think they might need it in the future or just want free stuff.<br /><br /><br />Ken

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Byordy, I can't say that I know how you feel, 'cause I don't, but I do understand and my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope everything works out and you get all your things replaced as ordered.<br />You know if you need anything, we'll do what we can from the members that are close by.