Will my lic. #'s be visable/legal?

vaporvette

Cadet
My boat previously had the license numbers above the rub rail.
I recently painted it and I want to put the license numbers just below the rub rail but I'm not sure if it will be o.k. Will this be legal?
I live in Ca. U.S.A.

Picturesd024.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Will my lic. #'s be visable/legal?

I would think that they would be more visible below the rub rail than above it on that boat.

Brewman61

Ensign

Go to your online boating regulations, I'm betting CA has one, probably a PDF book. In MN where I do water patrol, it'd be okay as long as I could read the numbers and letters easily. California likely has similar rules. Minimum sized letters, correct spacing, contrasting color, visible, etc.....

jbcurt00

Staff member

From ABC's of California Boating laws:
Numbers and stickers issued at the time of registration must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel, usually on the bow (see the figures below). Registration stickers must be securely affixed three inches aft of, and in line with, the registration numbers. The number must be visible from each side of the vessel. No other numbers, letters or devices may be placed in the vicinity of the state-assigned number.
  • To separate the numerals from the letters, spaces the width of the letter “C” or hyphens may be used between the prefix and the number, and between the number and the suffix.
  • Letters and numerals must be block characters at least three inches high. Choose a color for the letters and numbers that will contrast well with the hull or backing plate color of your vessel. In determining height and contrast, any border, trim, outlining or shading around the number shall not be considered.
  • If placement on a flared bow would make the number difficult to read, it should be affixed on some other part of the forward half of the vessel where it can be easily read.

If you have time, you might run that pix you posted by the DNR & check w/ them. But based on the way that reads, as long as they're @ the forward half, 3", contrast the hull, & are visible, you should be good. The last bit about a flared bow gives you an out, as long as the letters are visible, below the rubrail should be fine. Move them back to starting just forward of the helm, under the rubrail.