Will It Pull ???

florinv1

Cadet
Hi everybody!
I'm looking into getting a 2008 18 ft Azure sport boat with a I/O Volvo 4.3 190 hp . It weights 2,800 pounds. From what i have read so far from this site i understand that with little or more effort it is possible to ski behind a 90 hp engine or even less (depends on skier level or/and boat type).
My question is: will a beginner to intermediate level skier behind this boat have trouble getting up ? Let say that they are 3 people in the boat.

Thank you!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Will It Pull ???

With the right pitch prop it will yank the arms off of em -- you are going to have to get the boat and experiment with its hole shot, current pitch, etc. Yes, its got enough muscle to be set up to tow just fine.

That boat will have no trouble at all right out off the dealer lot with zero modifications. You'll have a great time. All you'll need is a rope, skiis and a couple pals.

For whatever it's worth, I am 6'2" 205lbs, and I LEARNED to waterski behind my '97 SeaDoo GTI. It's a 3 seater, 70 HP. Waterskiing behind a PWC means one driver, one spotter sitting backwards and me getting yanked behind. Good times.

Have fun!

florinv1

Cadet

Thank you!
Makes me feel a little better knowing this.
Thanks!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I skied behind a boat with a 28hp outboard on it as a kid - its not about the total hp but, rather, the weight of the boat, passengers and skier(s).

flatbudget

Cadet

It should pull fine. You may want to watch the number of people you bring aboard the boat. That makes a difference.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't be worried about it either... :D