Will I need a special tool for this?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
1984 Alpha I Gen I, Merc 488R I/O.

My U-joints are on their way out, and before I get more use out of my TowboatUS membership, I want to replace them. I don't have a press, so I bought a complete shaft, which included the coupling and gear yokes, socket, and new u-joints.

Seloc says I will need an alignment tool, but I've also read that if the engine isn't moved, you won't need it. Anyone know which is correct? I don't want to get the old one out, and find the new one won't go in without it. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Will I need a special tool for this?

Seloc says I will need an alignment tool, but I've also read that if the engine isn't moved, you won't need it.

You can read more WRONG information on the internet, than you can good information.
You need to CHECK the alignment when the drive is off. The reason you check it, is to find out if something wrong. It's like checking oil. You don't have to change your oil every time you use it, you check it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've also read that if the engine isn't moved, you won't need it.

It's true that simply removing and replacing the outdrive doesn't affect the alignment.... but it is always a good idea to check the alignment whenever you have the drive off. It is quick and easy to check, and the tool is not expensive. This way you can discover issues before they BECOME expensive.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Just found the alignment tool on iboats... $88! :eek: Then the spanner wrench is another $65! :eek::eek:

So again, is the alignment tools absolutely necessary to do the job? Sounds like it isn't, but that I should have it 'to make sure'?

farmer9009

Seaman

Just rent a u-joint tool from your local auto store like advanced or auto zone and change only the u-joints. This would be allot simpler and cheaper than changing everything else out. Peace of mind is nice so yes checking the alignment is necessary. The $88 for the tool is cheap compared to having to change the coupler because it was not aligned. Also there was a drive shaft size change I found out about when I had to change out my coupler due to the engine not being aligned. If you are going to use the new shaft instead of just changing the u-joints make sure it is the same size as your old one.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...iser+alignment+tool&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you go this route just make sure to look at feedback for the seller from others. If the drive doesn't leak at all, I 2nd doing just the ujoints. Seen on another thread you have to clearance the driveshaft bearing retainer/spanner nut in 1 spot a little to get the ujoint caps to clear. Other than that they are fairly easy to do.

guyaverage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These guys are nuts. You do not need to check your alignment!

Mercruiser has a built-in alignment check. You put your boat in the water, put it in gear, and if you smell a burning-rubber odor and the boat barely moves at any RPM's, you'll know your alignment is off.

Not only will you get the opportunity to buy a new coupler ($:eek:$), but you will also get to pull the engine out ($:eek:$:eek:$) to put the new coupler on!

Problem is, you'll need that alignment tool to complete the repair........ :D

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Another option to buying an alignment tool is to tow your boat to a marina/ marine repair shop with the drive off and have them check the alignment for you. A shop by my house charged me $15. Fortunately the alignment was good and no adjustment was needed. Call your local shop and ask them what they might charge you to check, and align if necessary.

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you own a sterndrive and do your own work you NEED an alignment tool. or you will be replaceing your coupler and u-joints fast. Pluss you may have a hell of a time getting your drive back on. Couplers are about $300 buks but you have to pull the stove to do it so its up to you. As said you can rent a u-joint tool and its is not a bad job if you have done it before. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU DON'T NEED AN ALIGNMENT TOOL OR DON'T NEED TO CHECK ALIGNMENT !!!!!!!! The drawing and dimentions are on this site for the tool and if you know a good machinest he can make one for you. Please dont skip this step you will regret it. You have been fairly warned. I mean this in the nicest but firmest manner.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Fair enough. And at $25 on ebay, I can even justify the cost to the Admiral!

On a side note, with normal use, how long should u-joints last? Just curious.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On a side note, with normal use, how long should u-joints last? Just curious.

Keep them greased and the water out, and with normal use they could last 20 years.

Bondo

Staff member

Keep them greased and the water out, and with normal use they could last 20 years.

Ayuh,... Exactly,... They'll last Forever...

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

88$ seems a little steep. Is it made out of titanium? Got mine on flea bay for i think 16bucks. I think it cost more for shipping. I didnt mike it but when i used it, it showed me i was off a hair so i think its up to spec. When your done with it grease the tool up. I put mine away and it got a little rust on it. Now the tool may be off. :(

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Allright i will punch myself in the face for that. Not supposed to direct away from iboats purchase. My bad, I will leave the board for a while again. Dammit.

cr2k

Captain

How do you know the alignment was spot on when you pulled the drive?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Because he fell on his *** when pulled to hard!!!

'83 Cruisers, Inc. 260hp merc 3" exhaust, original u-joints! Going on it's 3rd set of senders as I type!

Split Shot

Seaman Apprentice

There are always exceptions to the rule. About 20yrs. ago I bought a 24ft. Crestliner with a 351 ford motor. I knew it was shot when I bought it. Took the motor to a local guy to have completely redone. I got the motor back dropped the motor back in with my buddies backhoe and bolted it down. Put the outdrive back on and used it for 3yrs. until I sold it, with NO problems. Did not know anything about having to align the gimbal bearing. Had a couple of outboard boats after, so still didn't know anything about alignment until I got my present boat with I/O. I changed the motor, gimbal bearing, outdrive I found out about aligning bearing. I just LUCKED out! I have learned alot from this Great Site. THANK YOU! all you guy's for sharing your knowledge!