Will acetone or toluene break down cured 3m 5200

knoell3

Seaman Apprentice
I have use 3m5200 to seal small leaks in the bottom of my aluminum bass boat and it worked good. I was going to spray some of that truck bedliner over that for a final seal and noticed it had toluene and acetone in it. Does anyone know if that will affect the cured 3m 5200?

Thanks.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will acetone or toluene break down cured 3m 5200

I have use 3m5200 to seal small leaks in the bottom of my aluminum bass boat and it worked good. I was going to spray some of that truck bedliner over that for a final seal and noticed it had toluene and acetone in it. Does anyone know if that will affect the cured 3m 5200?

Thanks.

If its cured it will only make it go a little gummy on the surface but wont really affect it at all

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks.

It wont touch it, but here is a product that will break it down.
http://www.marineformula.com/uses.htm

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Please do a search about using bedliner material for an aluminum boat.

If you ever have a future repair needed you will venture into a nightmare!

Some aluminum boat manufacturers were making this an option for a short time but dropper the process since it led to future problems. Unless the aluminum is prepped 100% properly there is a possibility of separation due to the way aluminum oxidizes.

Gluvit can be utilized inside or outside the hull. 3m5200 can be removed with a wire brush.

knoell3

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses folks. I am going to clean the seam with acetone and spray this stuff from bow to stern. Still have a slight leak and do believe this will seal it.