Will a mercruiser 120 prop fit on an 888 (302)?

ratdude747

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a local deal on a recently rebuilt and apparently decent condition mercruiser 120 prop (48-78120-19). Other than having a bit less pitch (19 vs 21), being a bit smaller (14" instead of 14.5"), and having a solid hub (instead of rubber), it's pretty close to what the original (not usable) factory aluminum prop looks like.

As a spare (if nothing else), is this compatible since both are mercruiser props? Or is there going to be an issue? My gut says don't but I figured I'd ask before completely passing on it.

matt167

Rear Admiral
It will work. But it won’t be right. I guess if your prop falls off in the middle of the lake it’ll get you home

ratdude747

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will work. But it won’t be right. I guess if your prop falls off in the middle of the lake it’ll get you home
Which is a no-deal since it's not THAT great of a deal.

But, the seller now knows what prop he actually has so hopefully one of the many other boaters around here will be interested.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Found a local deal on a recently rebuilt and apparently decent condition mercruiser 120 prop (48-78120-19). Other than having a bit less pitch (19 vs 21), being a bit smaller (14" instead of 14.5"), and having a solid hub (instead of rubber), it's pretty close to what the original (not usable) factory aluminum prop looks like.

As a spare (if nothing else), is this compatible since both are mercruiser props? Or is there going to be an issue? My gut says don't but I figured I'd ask before completely passing on it.
Ayuh,..... As far as fitment, Alphas, Bravo Is, 'n large gear case Merc outboards can All run the same props,.....
Differences would be the right hub kits, pitches, 'n of course the many various blade designs,.....