Wife sez we need a camcorder...

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
...and she usually wins.:D Anybody have any thoughts (+/-) as to which brand is the more dependable? I'm also a bit confused as to which type would be better... We had an old 8mm canon years ago that tanked on us and we have quite a few old videos on them. I hate to be restricted to 8mm technology but it would be nice if it could play those tapes, as long as it can download to a PC. Is there one out ther capable of this? Around $400 is about all we can spend. Thoughts?

thanks

spots

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Wife sez we need a camcorder...

Get a Mini-DV camcorder. Then you are recording in digital and can easily download to the computer. There are several decent ones out there - I used to really like Sony, but some of the others are giving as good quality in Digital, with less cost.

As for the 8 MM tapes you have, borrow an 8 mm recorder, or player, from a friend and then download them to the computer - rend them to digital format and you are good to go with them also!

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a JVC that would take still pictures a long with the movies. You could out put to a computer, vcr or tv. Never used it much but never had any trouble with it.

Larry

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use a digital Sony. Has more features than I know how to use (knowing me that is understandable). Easy to hook up to the TV or puter using USB cables.
My only suggestion is spend the extra bucks on the bigger battery. I can put this thing away for 6 months and still have several hours of play time without having to charge it. A full charge on the big battery will run this camera for about 12 hours nonstop. Good Luck

tommays

Admiral

I would stay classic for now with the DV tape units :D The tapes last a LONG and they all come with a cable to output on you TV set

There is just so much new stuff comeing and going with all kinds of different problems :mad:

Tommays

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I just purchased a Sony HC38 MiniDV camera. I paid 300 bucks for it at Circuit City online (there are other places with similar prices). I did a lot of research and found the other brands had problems, but no one had anything bad to say about the Sony.

Just playing with it last night, it seemed really nice. I ordered the cord last night to use it with the computer, we'll see how that works.

Ken

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys!

spots

Pony

Rear Admiral

I just purchased a Sony HC38 MiniDV camera. I paid 300 bucks for it at Circuit City online (there are other places with similar prices). I did a lot of research and found the other brands had problems, but no one had anything bad to say about the Sony.

Just playing with it last night, it seemed really nice. I ordered the cord last night to use it with the computer, we'll see how that works.

Ken

I second the Sony recommendation. I have owned one myself dor a few years now, and have had zero issues with it.

At work we sell far more of them than the other brands, although we seem to carry a much greater variety of Sonys so it makes sense that it is that way. I just wish I could afford/justify the HD ones................

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mini DV would be my first choice in that price arena......

Sony is great stuff!!

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my wife bought me a JVC minidv for christmas and I have used it alot more than I thought I would. I would have spent more and got a sony if I had bought. I copy the movie to her laptop then burn a dvd to send to my folks in new york. It does everything I need it to. Only thing I dislike is they put the still picture button too close to the zoom and I am always hitting it by accident. At work they use Sony DV's in the police cars and they are excellent units but are way too big for the application so most have been removed(to much blind spot)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ken

I got the firewire cord and man this camera is great. Downloading to the computer is really easy. Already uploaded a few videos to youtube.

Definatley a thumbs up.

Ken