Why you need barefoot equipment

sangerwaker

Commander
This is the result of one of two things...either stupidity, or this guy was just tryin to show off. I'm not gonna deny the fact that I've done this on the boom (no barefoot equipment) but at least I never fell! :cool: <br /><br />If you've ever barefooted or skied over 30 MPH, you really have to wonder how bad the bruises were. :eek: :eek: <br /><br />I NEVER teach anyone without the proper equipment. For guys that consists of a cup, barefoot shorts, and a padded barefoot suit at minimum. Gals can skip the cup if desired.<br /><br />
0.jpg

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Why you need barefoot equipment

At the very least he's cleaning the whole of his body.<br /><br />Lost my shorts tubing once, never did find them :confused: <br /><br />Aldo

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> At the very least he's cleaning the whole of his body.<br /><br />
nope no 'cavitation' on that fall the way it looks .. least he slid out to the side on the training bar.. :p :D <br /><br />I've seen guys go the hospital from not wearin' 'shortys'.. ain't good no matter how much you laugh // If given the choice.. I'd rather have an enema via 'health clinic' than 'ski clinic' - no doubt about it!.. rectal stitches don't sound fun!

tylerin

Commander

Would have been alot better had it been a woman :D Probably poofed alot quicker too. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

What's he hanging on to in the first picture? and why would he have just let go?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Boom, he's hanging onto the training bar (the boom :p ). He didn't have to let go, he had no choice in the matter. His feet dug in - anchor. <br /><br />Aldo

ehenry

Commander

What gets me about the whole ordeal is that he's trying to barefoot off a pole. We didnt have poles when I was was skiing regular. We got up on a slolomn ski and stepped out of it. Kids now think they'r doing something barefooting off a pole on the side of a boat.

tylerin

Commander

Key here is no lifevest. We start by sitting on a surfboard, when you get to speed drop your heels in the water. When the board disappears you're barefooting. I've had the chance to use a boom and it isn't the same outside the wake JMO

sangerwaker

Commander

Hey Ef, nuttin wrong with learning from a boom. Much safer. That's partly why barefooting is considered so extreme, the way it was learned "old school". <br /><br />When a new tool comes out to make a job easier, you use it, right? Same idea here. The boom is simply a tool to help get you behind the boat faster, and safer. I would never consider teaching someone without a boom. It allows you to talk to the skier and help them while learning.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

What speed do you typically need before one can barefoot?

sangerwaker

Commander

That's an interesting question. Depends on many factors. Body weight, pull from point (using a skylon or tower), and wether you are on a boom. For someone learning directly on the boom (like the picture) 25-30 mph is sufficient. More speed is needed if you add a rope to the boom or you are behind the boat.<br /><br />Please..anyone who is interested in trying barefooting...get some help from someone who knows how to do it CORRECTLY. It will make learning a more pleasureable experience, and you won't get hurt.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br />Please..anyone who is interested in trying barefooting...get some help from someone who knows how to do it CORRECTLY. It will make learning a more pleasureable experience, and you won't get hurt.
Been doing it for years incorrectly and have never had a problem having fun. Most of the guys I do it with will stop the boat at 30mph. My tower has added a new dimension to the sport. Much easier.