Why would spraying a little deep creep lub on shaft slide cause starter to act weak?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Starter sounds like its getting no juice but after a second or two slowly spins motor enough to start. This occurred immediately after spraying Sea Foam deep creep on starter shaft. All batt and cables are fine.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
likely because you got lube on the "drive gear clutch" which causes it to slip. try cleaning the drive gear with brake clean...

Bosunsmate

Admiral
if the starter main shaft is spinning slow you might of got some fluid leaked down into the starter and is shorting it out

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you need to disassembly that starter and clean it and then DRY it again and apply just a little lube on the bushings/bearings and reassembly it again...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Getting deep creep into the starter would not short it out. But getting some on the commutator could cause poor brush contact. Keep operating the starter in short burst to see if it clears up. But I'm betting it was not the deep creep. A weak starter is typically due to corroded or lose battery cables or a weak battery.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
But I'm betting it was not the deep creep. A weak starter is typically due to corroded or lose battery cables or a weak battery.

They did say it happened "immediately" after applying deep creep.
Just not a proponent of coincidences myself

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Battery and cables are 100% good and even backed up by redundant set of cables and batt for testing. It's something to do with starter. I was doing several Maintenance items each requiring me to start and stop motor which went great. For no particular reason other than it was dry, I sprayed the starter shaft. Then I started the motor again and it just engaged but no spin. If I leave key on start for a few seconds it will spin slowly and bc motor is tuned well and spark is good it's starts. But what the heck is up with the starter all the sudden? Strange.
I'm still working on details for y'all and I appreciate the help.
As I posted on another thread soap box. Please believe me when I say batt and cables are good