why wont it go FASTER!!!

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: why wont it go FASTER!!!

Excellent job with the pics! Plainly obvious what's going on here.

You have the shallow water drive (tilt-out a bit) bracket engaged (also popular when trailering).

The last picture shows it best, its the rusted U shape bracket connected to the mid-section and resting on the tilt pin.

This needs to swing up out of the way, then your motor will trim all the way in and engage the tilt pin correctly.

That is why I said the original trim position looked pretty good from a performance point of view.

From the picture in the lowest trim position, I agree with Steelespike, The L/U is dunked in fairly deep. Raising it up a bit should help the characteristics Steele mentioned.

My suggestion is start safe 3/4-1". The higher you go the more concern with aerated cooling water that can cause an overheat.

So, the question remains, are you racing your buddy with the shallow water bracket engaged?

Daz i got it free but now when it goes down it locks into place on the trim pin and wont let the motor swing upwards when i hit something like a stump. i looked for a lever to disengage but no luck...

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whoa, there sure is a lot of information in this thread, and unfortunately a lot of MISinformation.

First of all, 93 octane will do NOTHING if your engine is not specifically set up to run on it. In fact, since 93 is a slower burning fuel the engine could run worse. It will be specifically labeled as "premium fuel only" if it needs it. Otherwise, stick to the 87.

oh and i check all the labeles just for kicks and all it said was (unleaded gas only) so i guess ill stick to good ole 87

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My guess is that 99% of outboards are rated for 87 octane.
Those rated for higher are likely high performance models.
I did have a friend that had a McCulloch outboard from the 1960s rated for 89 octane.
I'm sure through the years it was run on 87 most of its life with no apparent reduction in performance or damage.
We only had 90 octane availabe here and he did feel it started and idled better on the 90.
But this all has no bearing on our discussion.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My guess is that 99% of outboards are rated for 87 octane.
Those rated for higher are likely high performance models.
I did have a friend that had a McCulloch outboard from the 1960s rated for 89 octane.
I'm sure through the years it was run on 87 most of its life with no apparent reduction in performance or damage.
We only had 90 octane availabe here and he did feel it started and idled better on the 90.
But this all has no bearing on our discussion.

i noticed a great improvement in the start-up with the new plugs.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok this weekend was ruff! 3:30 am boat ran fine to the duck hole after the shoot on the way back it ran like crap spitting, sputtering, bumping and so-on.... got it home pulled the new spark plugs to find them black and oily so i changed them out and dumped the gas to start over incase there was trash or something in the tank. the gas was very dark and looked to maybe have some water in it. next i added 4 gallons of gas and synthetic oil (appriox 2.6 oz to a gal) that made it run a lot better.

the next problem was that the claw like leaver that is suppose to let loose of the tilt pin when in drive wont let loose (if thats even how it works) ive looked for some way to get it loose and havent found any. so when i went threw the stump infested waters i had to put it into the shallow drive setting. which isnt bad for the lake but being that i take this boat in the river i need this thing to work.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately I can't help on the lock release the only reference I have is for 89.
89 parts reference lists a reverse lock link,reverse lock lever(a simple square shaped U)
a reverse lock spring,a link pin with a loop on each end.A link pin which I assume holds the reverse lock link.
Then there is the shallow water link( A larger square U),there is a release wire and another spring with a loop on each end it appears these may all interact with a lever to the left of the assembly. Again this is from a 89
I'm guessing there is at least suposed to be a manual lever that releases the lock.
And most likely the shift mechanism is involved in releasing the lock.If you operate the shift
and observe the movement you may see how they are suposed to interact.
You'll no doubt get more help on the lock in the Evinrude/Johnson forum.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

03 johnson midsection.jpg looking over a few parts and i think i am missing part # 23 but im not 100% sure how to hook it in

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

fwiw, it should only lock in reverse... in both forward AND neutral it should be free to tilt

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

speed wasnt so good saturday he killed me on the way to the hole then i had the issues on the way back so it wasnt a good day! :mad:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if your motor issues accounted for the poor performance before they became obvious?

JBooth

Cadet

I have an 05 Johnson 15 2 stroke and have it on the same boat as yours. I get 32 by myself, so you can definitely get more speed. For the tilt problem If yours is like mine then there should be a small black lever like thing on the side opposite the tiller. In order for tilt to engage that has to be in the up position. If it is back then it is locked. Hope this makes sense and helps. good luck

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 05 Johnson 15 2 stroke and have it on the same boat as yours. I get 32 by myself, so you can definitely get more speed. For the tilt problem If yours is like mine then there should be a small black lever like thing on the side opposite the tiller. In order for tilt to engage that has to be in the up position. If it is back then it is locked. Hope this makes sense and helps. good luck

i have that lever, it is for the shallow drive correct?

and 32??? wow! can you post a pic of your setup on here?

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as to the issues it ran awesome sat morning with me and the kids in the boat so i ajusted the tilt after i got to the duck hole to test it on the way back and it ran like crap again... im going to pull the plugs and see if they are messed-up again; if so advance auto will have one mad guy this afternoon.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder if your motor issues accounted for the poor performance before they became obvious?

sorry didnt see your post

it really didnt run bad untill after i changed the plugs from champions to autolites

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A couple of things.While I agree the E/J motors seem to run best with Champion I wonder if the autolites may be the wrong heat range
or some other difference.It just seems that they wouldn't mess up in such a short time unless something else is messing them up.
weak spark perhaps.If it continues to be troublesome check the spark with a spark tester.
Spark should jump 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch. Sometimes temperature will affect the ignition system.Its possible the plugs were fine when you started back but a failing ignition caused them too foul.Just shooting from the hip.Food for thought.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A couple of things.While I agree the E/J motors seem to run best with Champion I wonder if the autolites may be the wrong heat range
or some other difference.It just seems that they wouldn't mess up in such a short time unless something else is messing them up.
weak spark perhaps.If it continues to be troublesome check the spark with a spark tester.
Spark should jump 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch. Sometimes temperature will affect the ignition system.Its possible the plugs were fine when you started back but a failing ignition caused them too foul.Just shooting from the hip.Food for thought.

how would i test the spark?

JBooth

Cadet

i have that lever, it is for the shallow drive correct?

and 32??? wow! can you post a pic of your setup on here?

If that lever is pulled up toward you it makes the motor tilt up. If it is down then it locks the motor. If you pull up on the motor and flip the switch down then it does put the motor in shallow water drive but only if you are pulling the motor up. It does not matter what gear it is in. To get the motor tilt, take it off shallow water drive and let it drop all the way down. The switch should then go down and lock the motor. Simply pull the switch up to get the motor to tilt. I hope I am making sense.
IMAG0157.jpg Sorry but this is the best pic I have of it. My Duracraft is a 1970 model so it might be a bit lighter then yours.