Why specifically Douglas Fur ply?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
No big deal but I was wondering; why specifically is Douglas Fur the better exterior grade ply over the stuff you can get at Home Depot?

Most on here recommend Fur for boat restoration which is why I ask.

Is the fiberglass resin absorption superior? Is the surface of the wood more suited for boats?

I'm picking up 5 sheets of Douglas Fur next week. Will soon be finishing the boat. :)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why specifically Douglas Fur ply?

Look up the marine grade vs others ply thread, started by YD, it'll explain all. But a quick recap, the DF is a better surface for resin absorption, the marine grade is a much better core, and it's stays flat and straight and it MUCH easier to work with. Lots of opinions here about it, so please read the thread I mentioned.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the information.

The exteror ply I am getting is for the topside of my boat. 1/4 inch. Its for the rear deck, fin and front air scoups. All sides, front and back, will be saturated with epoxy resin and then veiled with 6 oz woven.

<---- Its for my Batboat, pictured here.

Is that a good combination? Nothing will be below the water level or structural.

$23 plus tax for 4x8 sheets. Marine is much more and I need 6 sheets.

Will exterior Fur it be suitable for my unusual uses?

Dolfan0925

Seaman

I was told by a buddy of mine to get 5/8" instead of 1/4" for my deck. Said it makes a real big difference. Dunno personally.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Fir tends to be fairly rot resistant, somewhat strong, easy to work with, affordable, available, relatively light and resin does bond well to it. It doesn't work well in applications where its exposed to the weather though, the reason is the surface checking (cracking). after several cycles of heating and cooling, getting wet and then drying, the surface of it will develop cracks that make it look bad. This checking is also an issue when someone wants to just resin coat the surface, the checking speeds the failure of the resin, this is why glass is recommended for it to last.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

The deck I need to rebuild is this.

The area where the fit sits on and has the two compartments on each side.

PDVD_010.jpg

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Fir tends to be fairly rot resistant, somewhat strong, easy to work with, affordable, available, relatively light and resin does bond well to it. It doesn't work well in applications where its exposed to the weather though, the reason is the surface checking (cracking). after several cycles of heating and cooling, getting wet and then drying, the surface of it will develop cracks that make it look bad. This checking is also an issue when someone wants to just resin coat the surface, the checking speeds the failure of the resin, this is why glass is recommended for it to last.

Thanks. :)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You may need a bit heavier for the deck (my bad), I assumed the rest was more cosmetic (bat boat) so 1/4" is fine and easier to work with. You said you're covering in all with glass, correct?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I'm getting ready to buy 8 sheets of plywood for my up coming project. My HD has their standard 5 ply "3/4"" and for only 4 bucks more this 7 ply. Look around it was kind of hidden at my local HD

Attachments

• hd-ply.jpg
    hd-ply.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm getting ready to buy 8 sheets of plywood for my up coming project. My HD has there standard 5 ply "3/4"" and for only 4 bucks more this 7 ply. Look around it was kind of hidden at my local HD
I'll bet if you look, that 7 ply is Chinese junk.

Albee

Cadet

The real reason that doug fir is better for use around water is that is has a higher % of Tannons in it. Cedar also has lots of tannons, but is not suited for making plywood.
Doug Fir is great for plywood because of the tall trunks, that produce lots of peeler bolts for the veneer used in plywood. Plywood that is used for outdoor or marine use is eay to spot because of the red glue line between the layers. It is more expensive because the resourceanol fermaldehyde adhesive used outdoor is more expensive to buy and cure then the indoor melamine adhesive.

Darren, that is one cool boat you have. Good luck with your project. albee

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Now this is a good question :) ..

If your going to put Black ( or dark color paint ) over your substrate..then make Sure its not going to move.

Meaning..If you Glass over your wood and prep/prime and paint.. good ..but if the Wood Itself is "checked or voided" then you will have movement in your paint job.

Im sure Wood would chime here.. .. .. yes I would seriously look into some MDO board for this type of application.

We are Not talking structural. Its just cosmetic at this point.

Every element in boat building is Different depending on What your doing ..

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering when you'd come in on this one. Will the MDO form well?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Cool to see the bat boat again! Keep posting!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Darren

This is a PERFECT candidate for 1/4" HDO ply wood. It will take your paint like a dream! Check it out!!!!

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again for all the advise.

I went to Flint today to pick up the plywood. :)

The MDO ply they had was too thick so I went with six sheets of Douglas Fur 1/4 exterior. I need the wood to flex because the Batboat detailings are rounded.

I can't wait to get started! :)