Why oil prices are so high.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=24498 <br /><br /><br />World oil prices pushed up to $67 a barrel last week. Is it just a seasonal phenomenon, a reflection of summer driving patterns, a sign of Saudi intransigence, a conspiracy by the oil companies? Perhaps. But far more likely, it has something to do with Hubbert's Peak. <br /><br />In 1956, Shell Oil geologist M. King Hubbert made a startling prediction. Judging from the rate new oil was being discovered, he calculated that American oil production would reach its peak in 1969. <br /><br />The prediction received little attention. After all, people had been predicting that oil would eventually run out since Colonel Drake drilled the first well at Titusville in 1859. These pessimistic forecasts had always proved wrong. <br /><br />But Hubbert had some logic on his side. A veteran prospector, King had noticed that - largely because of requirements by the Securities Exchange Commission - oil companies did not immediately add new discoveries to their official "reserves" as soon as they were found but parceled them out year by year. This created the illusion that new oil was continuously being found. <br /><br />In fact, said Hubbert, when oil reserves were assigned to the year in which they discovered, a startling fact emerged. American oil discoveries had peaked in 1935 and declined steadily since then. Probably well over half the oil that was ever going to be discovered had already been found. Calculating that production usually followed discovery in a 40-year cycle, Hubbert predicted American oil production would peak in 1969. <br /><br />He was off by one year. We briefly pumped 10 million barrels of oil a day in 1970. Then production went into a gradual but inexorable decline. (We now pump about 8.5 million.) All the fantastic new technologies - the 3-D computer imaging, the horizontal drilling, the pressurized recovery methods - have not lifted us back to where we were in 1970. <br /><br />The consequences were immediate and extraordinary. In 1970 we were importing 15 percent of our oil. The production peak went unnoticed, demand continued to rise, and within three years we were importing 30 percent of our oil. This left us sitting ducks for the 1974 Arab Oil Boycott. <br /><br />There is now a theory that world oil production is approaching the same "Hubbert's Peak." Kenneth Deffeyes of Princeton, author of "Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage," is one of the principle proponents. Applying Hubbert's techniques to world oil, Deffeyes found that non-OPEC discoveries peaked in 1975. That means we should be approaching peak production right about now. <br /><br />As for OPEC production - who knows? The Saudis are still highly secretive about both their reserves and their production capacity - as are all OPEC nations. OPEC parcels out its production quotas on the basis of reserves - which prompts all OPEC members to exaggerate their capacity. <br /><br />In addition, the countries are constantly cheating each other through overproducing and don't like to make the numbers public. The most reliable figures - if they can be considered reliable - come from Petrologistics, a small Geneva firm that claims to have spies in every OPEC nation's ports. <br /><br />What all this suggests is that $67-a-barrel oil is more than a passing phenomenon. What may be happening is something one school of geologists has long predicted - world oil production is topping out. <br /><br />"We're not going to feel anything when we pass over the peak," says Matthew Simmons, a Texas oil investor whose recent book, "Twilight in the Desert," predicts that Saudi oil may also be approaching its pinnacle. <br /><br />"The only way we're going to recognize it is in the rear-view mirror." <br /><br />Passing over Hubbert's Peak doesn't mean we're "running out of oil." It means we're running out of cheap oil. Saudi wells, Caspian wells, Nigerian wells, Texas wells - all will continue to pump oil. But like Alice and the Queen of Hearts, we'll have to run as fast as we can just to stay where we are. <br /><br />Meanwhile - unfortunately - demand will continue to rise. China and India are rapidly increasing their demand, Europe still has high demands, and of course the United States' thirst for oil - despite all the talk - continued to rise unabated. That means rapidly rising prices. <br /><br />Will paying $50 to fill up the tank make Americans start thinking more sensibly about alternative means of power? Will gas-electric hybrids start to look more attractive? And if people start refueling their cars on the power grid, where will we get the electricity to accommodate them? <br /><br />We'd better not start blaming this all on President Bush or wailing about the perfidies of the oil companies. The time has come to start rethinking our energy future.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why oil prices are so high.

Interesting theories.<br /><br />The price of any commodity is controlled by what buyers are willing to pay for it.<br /><br />Demand for petro products in the USA, including gasoline, has declined in the past two weeks. Predictably, the price of oil, as of closing yesterday, has dropped almost $3./bbl.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the bulk of what Ken's written and quoted. I've said it here before, and I'll say it again. Gas under $2/gallon in the USA will never be seen again. Once the markets stop overracting to everything that's going on, it'll probably settle into the $2.50 to $3.50 range for a little while, and it will gradually continue to go up from there every year. As that ever-rising expense drives people gradually away from oil to other sources of power for their transportation needs (which won't happen on a worldwide scale for another 20 years or so), theoretically demand would go down and prices would stabilize. But that won't happen with oil, because it's a finite resource. As it runs low, it'll get more expensive, even though demand may eventually start to drop.<br /><br />In the short term, AND the long term, Americans have to make a choice...if your financial health can continue to survive today's upper/middleclass lifestyles (multiple cars, long commutes & shopping trips, living in the rural parts of the country, driving for pleasure, long driving vacations, boats, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc.), then keep on burning your oil. But for those who cannot afford fuel that will continue to rise in cost, you simply will have to change your lifestyle. It'll likely mean moving to a place closer to work, using public transportaion, selling the extra gas hogs, less vacationing, and (gasp!) maybe selling the boat.<br /><br />It's disappointing, but it's real. This is just the beginning...elecricity shortage is next on the horizon...especially in the USA. Start bracing yourself for monumental electricity rate increases spread over the next several years.<br /><br />It's not all doom, technology improvements will eventually cure a lot of this and things will stabilize. But not without a number of sacrifices first. I believe the next 20 years of adjusting the American way of life is going to be very challenging for many.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If the worldwide economy slows down demand for oil will go down.<br /><br />This is what happened in 1999, the asia crisis hit, killing demand.<br /><br />If the gas prices stay high for another year, I relly believe demand will drop sharply.<br /><br />Ken

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

I saw on a news show where gas in Iraq is 12 cents a gallon and 28 cents in Venezuela. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Ron G

Commander

What we should do is price our export food the same as opec prices there oil,if they want to raise the price of oil we can raise the price of food.just a theory

rogerwa

Commander

Maybe the reason that the pump prices are so high is that we have over 40 different blends of Gas that correspond ot different states regulations. You take the amount of crude and refine it to the 40 diffent blends and you are bound to have shortages because of the difficulty in balancing the allocation ot the blend.<br /><br />We can lower our pump prices by reducing the number of uniques blends and making the best of our refinement capabilities.<br /><br />Just my .02.

dolluper

Captain

Funny you watch trucks come out of supply tanks at the end of the pipeline and they are all competitors.Guess the additives are in the trucks before they enter.<br />There is only 3 million 8 hundred thousand reasons why gas prices go up and only 1 reason why it goes down,it only goes down when companies try to increase sales and profits

gonefishie

Commander

We can raise the price of goods but there will always be somebody willing to sell for cheaper. There is a post somewhere on here that show a list of gas prices around the world updated in 03/05 and it showed those gas prices are correct Holdimhook! The list say 12cents/gal for Venezuela because that is an incentive their government give them since the oil companies are government own.<br />Ken> you must be in the business, how do you know about all this stuffs? what about our reserve? is it in Alaska? how long will it last if we tap into it? if it's an enormous amount, our government could create an oil agency, produces and sells the stuff, keep the price low like Venezuela and tell OPEC to f...off. I'll be damned if we're sitting on all this oil saving it and then an asteroid hit earth and wipe out civilization before we tap the reserve.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by rogerwa:<br /> Maybe the reason that the pump prices are so high is that we have over 40 different blends of Gas that correspond ot different states regulations. You take the amount of crude and refine it to the 40 diffent blends and you are bound to have shortages because of the difficulty in balancing the allocation ot the blend.<br /><br />We can lower our pump prices by reducing the number of uniques blends and making the best of our refinement capabilities.<br /><br />Just my .02.
Agreed, Pump prices could probably be lowered by as much as 60 to 80 cents per gallon by simply getting rid of the bottle neck, but i might be mistaken to think that the powers that be cares any :(

fireman57

Captain

The oil companies right now are flush with cash and they are currently buying futures at the highest possible cost to keep the prices up and justify their prices. They can show how much they paid for it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by gonefishie:<br /> Ken> you must be in the business, how do you know about all this stuffs? what about our reserve? is it in Alaska? how long will it last if we tap into it? if it's an enormous amount, our government could create an oil agency, produces and sells the stuff, keep the price low like Venezuela and tell OPEC to f...off. I'll be damned if we're sitting on all this oil saving it and then an asteroid hit earth and wipe out civilization before we tap the reserve.
I believe that the mid east has way more oil reserves than the USA will ever find.<br /><br />SOme would like to drill for more oil in the USA, but I think it would be a bad idea, as when the US oil runs out, we will have to beg for it from Saudi. Better to run theirs out first, than ours.<br /><br />There probably is a large amount of undiscovered oil, but the state goverments wont let us even look for it.<br /><br />There is only one solution, and that is renewable energy like biodiesel and grain alcohol. Those arent perfect, but much better than what we have now.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Saudi Arabia, Riyadh $0.91 <br />Kuwait, Kuwait City $0.78 <br />Egypt Cairo, $0.65 <br />Nigeria Lagos, $0.38 <br />Venezuela Caracas, $0.12 <br /><br /><br />Saudi and Venezuela, for example... <br />When the government owns the oil companies, prices are set LOW to benefit the citizens of the oil producing governments (Saudi and Venezuela).... Those of us who depend on foreign oil end up paying the difference, so the Shiek can drive his gas guzzling Caddy at $.91 cents (US) a gallon.....<br /><br />Rock the Casbah.......

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Those are subsidized gas prices. The goverment or local oil companies ends up paying the difference.<br /><br />Dont you think the local oil companies would much rather sell the oil on an open market (at 60 dollars per bbl), rather then have to give it away in their own country.<br /><br />They dont have a choice, the government requires them to give it away.<br /><br /><br />Ken

PW2

Commander

Those are nteresting theories that I've heard before, and tend to put a fair amount of credence in.<br /><br />The reality is that oil is a finite resource, and while we may well find new reserves, or better utilize existing reserves, we are not growing any more oil.<br /><br />Whether the world supply lasts another 40 years, or 100 years, sometime production has to decrease--it is simply inevitable.<br /><br />OPEC makes a big show of setting their quotas, but whether they increase the quotas, or decrease them, the result has been the same for years--They are pumping what they can pump, and have been at or near capacity for several years.<br /><br />We need to develop alternatives, be they hydrogen or whatever they may be. Whatever it is, it is absolutely certain that whatever form it takes is going to require energy of some sort to make it available. For example, if we assume that hydrogen is the answer, it is going to take a significant amount of energy to make that hydrogen available. The most plentiful, and potentially the least environmentally unfriendly of all potential energy sources is nuclear--and that of course will take time to develop.<br /><br />And what is the risk if we start this too early? We know we are at some point going to need it. The question is not if, but when.<br /><br />I personally think that it is extremely risky to leave the expensive R & D for this incredibly important issue solely to private corporations who are most interested in quarterly results.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

PW2... I agree with you up to the point of
I personally think that it is extremely risky to leave the expensive R & D for this incredibly important issue solely to private corporations who are most interested in quarterly results.
..<br /><br />Private corporations doing the R&D would either get results, or they fail.... Plain and simple...<br /><br />On the other hand, Government funded programs would have joe-taxpayer blindly funeling mucho $$$ into so-so prospects.. With the current political environment of nobody taking responsiblity for anything, nobody would be responsible for a lack-of results... Plus, you'd be opening the door for more pork-barrel junk....<br /><br />The government already wastes enuff of my hard-earned....

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I cant believe that no one mentioned this.<br /><br />Oil is a product traded on futures for the most part. Oil contracts are purchased to be delivered in the future. <br /><br />The current oil fiasco has nothing to do with reserves etc... It is being driven by futures traders who want better returns if you buy oil at 50 a barrel and in 3 months its 60 a barrel that is a huge profit for the trader. Thats it my 2 cents<br /><br /><br />In Canada at the current price of crude, refinement, taxation etc... it puts gas at 92c a barrel gas is hovering around 102 thats a 10c difference that cant be accounted for, and the explnation of that is greed on the part of gas retailers. <br /><br />Im not talking about oil company stock but futures contracts for the delivery of oil at a later date.<br /><br />Until oil futures contracts and the method of how they are traded changes not much will happen.<br /><br />Oil will drop at some point in time i have heard rumours that traders are looking at a contract price of 35 a barrel for delivery sometime next June.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> I believe that the mid east has way more oil reserves than the USA will ever find.<br /><br />SOme would like to drill for more oil in the USA, but I think it would be a bad idea, as when the US oil runs out, we will have to beg for it from Saudi. Better to run theirs out first, than ours.<br /><br />There probably is a large amount of undiscovered oil, but the state goverments wont let us even look for it.<br /><br />There is only one solution, and that is renewable energy like biodiesel and grain alcohol. Those arent perfect, but much better than what we have now.<br /><br />Ken
OK. I got the right figure.<br /><br />Ken, there is another possible alternative, it has been known about as a possibility for nearly 100 years.<br /><br />The United States possesses known reserves of oil shale in an equivalent amount of about 2 trillion barrels of oil. That's about 9 times more than the total known reserves of Saudi Arabia, and 4 times the combined known reserves of the 10 countries with the most known oil reserves. And THAT figure includes the 175 billion barrels of sand oil reserves in western Canada. <br /><br />To put that figure into further perspective, the US holds about 90% of the known oil shale reserves in the world. The country with the 2nd largest amount, Jordan, has a bit over 1%. <br /><br />The oil from oil shale is not the same as conventional petroleum oil, but it can be processed to the equivalent of a mid-grade crude oil. The caveat is that with current technology is it still cheaper to buy conventional crude oil. Perhaps we won't live to see it but I suspect our grandchildren will where the reverse is true. <br /><br />At least until then, we should be pursuing a national policy toward using renewable and other alternative sources of energy wherever reasonably possible.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Do those of you that remember the last oil shortage in the 70s that sent prices sky-rocketing from 25 cents to well over a buck and long lines at the pump, remember the real reason of the shortage??? Started in the late 60s when the oil conglomerates wanted a pipe line in Alaska!!! Environmentalist said NO and then came the shortage and then congress voted YES to the Alasken pipeline and no more shortage!!!<br /><br />Well, the last few years the same oil conglormerates have wanted a second pipeline and so far they have been shut out!!! my prediction is that once they get the 2nd pipeline the prices will stabilize!!!!! ;) :cool:

txswinner

Banned

Oil shortage does not exist. Last cost analysis from Saudi indicates about $2.41 (US dollars) per barrel to get oil to the pipeline. The other $60+ is middleman profits. Gas from ground to pipeline has not increased, transportations is about the same, demand has not substantially increased, and we have control of the Iraqi oil. BUY EXXON!!