Why isn't my Force 85hp not starting? (In the water)

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why isn't my Force 85hp not starting? (In the water)

I was checking out the first pic of the carb and it looks like the float MIGHT BE overbent where it connects to the float needle. This will cause constant flow and flooding due to the needle not closing completely. You can turn the carbs upside down like you had them and blow..if you're passing air then you need to adjust the floats or check needle and seat. Check all carbs...I bent one of my float adjustor thingy mabobs by squeezing the primer bulb really hard when it was already hard. Dont over squeeze when it's hard youre done. Now that I took another look at the pic I cant tell what the hell it is...it's an illusion. Could also be a bad diaphram or hoses.

emoney

Commander

It may have already been mentioned and I overlooked it, but
have you checked the diaphram in the fuel pump? They get
crackly after time.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Since it runs for 5-10 seconds after you manually put gas in the carbs, that means its not getting fuel from the pump.

Change the diaphragm and gasket on your fuel pump.

Also, buy an inline fuel filter from the auto parts store, just ask for one at the counter. Put this in the fuel line after the pump, and before the carbs, gives one final filter before the carbs to catch any remaining dirt.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am wanting to check and see if diaphragm on my fuel pump needs to be replaced. What do I look for in order to know whether it is bad or good. Before I got my boat it had been sitting for 5 years. I have some issues of it dying when i slow down and also when i slow down to put into neutral. I am wanting to check the feul pump to avoid any future problems. Would rather be fishiing than getting stuck on the lake and dealing with motor problems.:eek:

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your pump diaphragm has not been replaced in the last 3-4 years -DO IT! the diaphragm and impeller need to be serviced every 2-4 years any way. This is just preventive maintenance so you don't get on the water and have problems, and service the oil in the lower end also. Three things that will go a long way to keeping you on the water going instead of sitting. Your cylinder bore tops [where the head gasket seals] looks like its been leaking. It should be clean with no black exhaust residue on it

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

A bad diapgragm would have a hole in it. But, they're cheap, like $10, why get stuck on the water in the future because of a $10 part you could have changed right now!

Force motors don't like to idle, and will stall with extended idling. As long as its not stalling all the time you probably don't have a problem. May need to increase your idle speed a bit if it stalls a lot.

Brdiecat

Recruit

I feel your pain, so had to join & let you know what my experience has been.

When I lived near freshwater lakes, I bought my 18 ft. Starcraft w/85 horse Force circa 1986 (I think- maybe '87. I'll check later.Old age & all...) It started no problem. It ran great- even idled with no problem. As long as it was in fresh water, it ran fantastically.

Then I moved back to eastern Long Island & have had nothing BUT trouble with it. It runs so sweetly in a fresh water tank. It idles! And doesn't quit!! But in salt water, it cut out. To get it started, I had to give it full fuel wide open so when it started, it's revving & I had to time slowing it down & putting it in gear or it would quit. Then... sound familiar?

I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the water pump, checked for anything & everything (more because I was rebuilding & checking the motor out), changed the fuel, added everything to the gas/oil mixture I was recommended to do, changed hoses .... anyway, I suspect that it's a gas/air problem, most likely, & will need some REALLY fine tuning. It acts like it's loading up, especially carb #3. I'll let you know in a month or so when fishing season starts & I get back on the water if that was it. I've tried everything else. I think.

I DO know that people either love or hate Forces- glad I found a site of people that like 'em. At times, I'm not sure I do.