why is this a GOOD idea to paint the hull where the flotation is

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
saw this in a thread a few minutes ok. Im curious to know why this was a GOOD idea.

Attachments

• 2tgd.jpg
    2tgd.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 48

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
Ahh, what does the pic showing us?
why painting the hull before laying foam down. A mod mentioned, notice how so and so did this. Im wondering, why that was a good idea? have seen many rebuild threads and I for one did not paint the floor before adding flotation.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
only benefit I can think of is if I was selling paint
Its an old post from 2014 where I saw the comment. .

Ive been going through the restoration forums again as I have my 16'ss opened down to the hull again after 12 years (my resto). Nice to see what has held up after that time beneath the decking.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I think the thought behind it was to prevent corrosion by trapped moisture against the inner skin.
I’m about to do this to my boat (rigid styrofoam but no paint) so if corrosion on bare aluminum could be an issue it would be good to know.

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I agree with ShoestringMariner, and I believe that it is a very good idea.
I ran into this when researching the installation of an aluminum gas tank. I read that any time you have material in close contact with bare aluminum, it can hold moisture, which causes corrosion.
The solution I used with the gas tank was to use adhesive to glue my tank spacers to the aluminum so that no moisture could collect between them.
In the example you posted, the paint seals the bare aluminum so that the foam does not hold moisture against it. The paint can handle the moisture if you use the correct type.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with ShoestringMariner, and I believe that it is a very good idea.
I ran into this when researching the installation of an aluminum gas tank. I read that any time you have material in close contact with bare aluminum, it can hold moisture, which causes corrosion.
The solution I used with the gas tank was to use adhesive to glue my tank spacers to the aluminum so that no moisture could collect between them.
In the example you posted, the paint seals the bare aluminum so that the foam does not hold moisture against it. The paint can handle the moisture if you use the correct type.
Got It.
Ive torn down my decking and removed the flotation from my last renovation 2010. there was just a little bit of moisture under deck , None of my pink flotation sheets absorbed water. The gluvit I used to seal rivets was brittle in some area and flaked off. All in all things held up well for 12 years.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
. The gluvit I used to seal rivets was brittle in some area and flaked off. All in all things held up well for 12 years.
This is concerning. I was hoping it was considered a lifetime product.
Was your boat in the water all season, or mostly trailer stored?
And did it spend a lot of time in the environment uncovered?

I hope to get much more than 10 years out of my resto.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
This is concerning. I was hoping it was considered a lifetime product.
Was your boat in the water all season, or mostly trailer stored?
And did it spend a lot of time in the environment uncovered?

I hope to get much more than 10 years out of my resto.
I did not remove anything because it was failing. Upgading motor/ center console/ wiring so I removed to run larger conduit chases and changing layout interior. Boat was stored outdoors uncovered for 4 years. then inside the last 8. 3 coats of epoxy resin on top and bottom decking was used in 2010. It did hold some moisture on underside a few bubbles probably from flexing . I am using 19/32 just over half inch with 2 layers csm and poly resin on both sides of deck this time. seams will be sealed this time as well.

The gluvit was excess that ran onto hull, that was flaking, All rivets good and tight still sealed No leaking. Another reason for a tear down is i am using boat more in LI sound and want to add some minor structural support on side hull. All in all a possitive experience with allthe help here in 2010 and the Boat faired well. Even the 3 coats of Rustoleum Professional Paint held up. I may start another restoration thread soon.