Why is there no fishing boat section?

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just scrolling through and although there's a bunch on here there's no forum for fishing/bass boats. Any chance we could get one?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why is there no fishing boat section?

There are forums for specific boat brands.

Mouse over the blue box in the center of the page for the alphabetical listing of brands.

Owners Groups By Manufacturer

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

even your question shows why a seperate forum for "fishing boats" (as opposed to "fishing") won't work too well: you put bass boats in with fishing boats. Bass boats are specialized designs for calm fresh water fishing only. On the coast you'd never use a bass boat, and since the boats you use for coastal fishing are almost all well suited, and used, for other recreational uses, they are discussed in the general boating sections.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the post in the wrong section, and thank you for moving it to the proper section.
While I agree fishing and bass boats don't have the same hull design but a lot of other features, such as storage, live wells, repairs, motors etc cross over, on lets say a fish and ski boat VS Bass boats by the same manufacturer. I just didn't see much info on boats in the fishing section. More or less different fishing techniques, info on spots, equipment and whats been caught are in those sections. There is specific forums for most other boats and they vary greatly from brands ,sizes, engines etc in each forum, so I just wondered why there wasn't a fishing boat section.

Thanks for answering my question though.

Roscoe Thanks I did not realize that section was here.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

There shouldn't be any boat/motor questions in fishing. As you saw, that forum is reserved for catching(or trying to) fish. The only boat specific forums other than the manufacturer forums is sailing, pontoons, ribs/inflatables and PWCs. The rest would fall here Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics).

QC

Supreme Mariner

The answer is . . . if we created a specific section for every possible combination of specifics we would have more sections than posts. We debate this often, even today. Determining when to split a section, or add a section is difficult at best. Even grouping things is a debate. The electrical one is a good example. To me lumping wiring and battery discussions with Chart Plotters is dumb, but a separate section for gauges, and batteries, and wiring, and bilge pumps, and depth sounders and switches, and breakers and etc. etc. gets stupid too. I guess the take away is that we have to draw these lines somewhere. Of course this doesn't mean that we don't accept or want suggestions.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Excellent answer, QC......

I gave the OP the time, you explained how the watch was made...... :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Excellent answer, QC......

I gave the OP the time, you explained how the watch was made...... :)

So the big hand is on... Never mind.

I'm with QC. It would be nice to have some sections further broken down, Electrical is a good example. But, before you know it, the forum becomes both hard to use and to manage. I'm sure the future will bring changes, but we're fine now.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally understandable guys! To me boating and fishing go hand in hand so I got curious. As a matter of fact Ive never even contemplated buying any other type boat besides a fishing boat of sorts. I knew the fishing section wasn't the right place to post about boats. Im happy the way it is or whatever the future may bring.
Mike