Why is my gas orange?

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a nice, clean, older OMC metal gas tank. It had has in it. I cleaned that all out. cleaned the tank, then put fresh mixed 2 stroke in the can. I have an inline filter and the gas is showing up a dark yellow almost orange color in the tank. Inline filter screen is clear. I pumped out the orange gas and blue gas will show up in the inline filter. I let it sit over night. Gas turns orange.

I have brand new fuel lines, bulb, fuel connectors etc. for this tank. Also the fuel performs just fine. I fished for several hours Wednesday without issue. Gas is standard E87 with 50:1 mix evinrude synthetic. My plastic tank my fuel is staying blue.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
my first thought is rust...... even just a fine surface layer is enough to come off and turn things rusty orange looking..... plenty of areas you cant see in a tank that can/will harbor the stuff....
That was my first thought too, and probably correct. I found it interesting the outboard runs just fine and turns orange inline filter but seems to be blue in the tank.

I wondered if it was some sort of other weird process I'm not familiar with.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
had more than one motorcycle tank that looked good inside, (even cleaned a few with muriatic acid) and they still turned the gas orange. keep an eye on the filter, and change as needed..... bout all you can do.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
had more than one motorcycle tank that looked good inside, (even cleaned a few with muriatic acid) and they still turned the gas orange. keep an eye on the filter, and change as needed..... bout all you can do.
Sounds good! I will clean it again just to make me feel better and keep an eye on my inline filter.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Once your tank is cleaned, there is a product that coats and seals a metal tank on the inside, popular with motorcycle guys. Something to consider..

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Old Bill Mayer from Mayers Marina in Webster,NY, taught me that in order to really clean a metal tank, you have to pour a few quarts of lacquer thinner into the can and a few hands full of roofing nails. you shake it real good every few hours and leave this concoction about 24 hours in the tank to do its thing. Before removing the thinner and the nails give it one last shake, remove it all and then get some clean lacquer thinner to wash the dirty leftovers out and the tank will be like new. The lacquer thinner will dissolve all the old fuel sediment that has covered the inside and the roofing nails will help the loosening up of the stuff.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps a very thick layer of Varnish in that Tank/Fuel Line, to be able to overpower the Blue Dye in the Oil.
While Lacquer Thinner is good at dissolving Gum and Varnish, it might reck havoc on the O-rings located in the Tank Disconnect, so some Caution, maybe removal of the Pickup-Float-Gauge Assembly, before a Lacquer Thinner Bath. Doing so would also allow a through Cleaning of those Items.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the E10 is doing its deed.

First couple of tanks after changing to E10 the Racor had a orange “varnish” ting to it. All clean and pretty by the 3rd tank full.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I dumped about 2 gallons of vinegar into the tank. I am going to throw some roofing nails in it evening. Tank didn't have hardly have any sediment in it when I rinsed it out with soap and water and high pressure hose. Will attempt to post video later on.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know if it does either, but i had it on hand. I will report back if it worked at all.

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
just remember to clean the tank out with soapy water afterwards. Vinegar is acidic and causes corrosion

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have seen the fuel line from parts housing turn fuel orange. I think this is due to dye being leached as it only a few pumps and its gone

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
cleaned up the tank. Flushed it out with several gallons of soapy water. I couldn’t believe how much came out of it. Should be good to go now: I’ll report back on if fuel stays blue or not

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds good! I will clean it again just to make me feel better and keep an eye on my inline filter.
I'd just buy new synthetic tank, but if you have to keep it, pour some muriatic acid inside and later flush with baking soda/water, and Flush again...