Why is my boat sitting lower than the waterline ?

Outforarip

Recruit
Hello everyone
I’m new to this forum stuff and hope I’m doing this correctly. I’ve recently bought a Sport Craft 252 1996 vintage. I have 2 things to address. One being the low set of the boat in the water. About 2-3 inches lower than the previously painted line.
looking for any reasons this could take place ? Waterlogged transome .... ?
The second question is has anyone done a gas to diesel repower ? If so please elaborate 👍.
thanks in advance everyone
Cheers

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, welcome to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Obviously there is only one reason for any boat to sit lower in the water. And that is it somehow got heavier. What caused that extra weight? unless you added things to the boat, water comes to mind. I would certainly inspect everything to include the transom, stringers, floor, foam and anything that could hold water. And you need to drill inspection holes in those items to verify they are solid and not water holding rot... JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

as GM stated, additional weight on board is the only thing that will cause it to sit lower.

pull the boat and weigh it. compare it to specs. to sit 2-3" lower on a 25' boat would mean you have about 200 gallons of water on board

so prepare for a full gut-n-restoration

regarding gas to diesel.

remove gasoline long-tail, controls and fuel system.

buy diesel long-tail, controls and fuel system and install.

usually cheaper to buy a boat with a diesel in it to begin with.

why the desire to go diesel? short of being a commercial captain and trying to get a common fuel at the pump, or being in europe where diesel engines are prevalent. not sure the perceived advantage.

Outforarip

Recruit
First of all, welcome to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Obviously there is only one reason for any boat to sit lower in the water. And that is it somehow got heavier. What caused that extra weight? unless you added things to the boat, water comes to mind. I would certainly inspect everything to include the transom, stringers, floor, foam and anything that could hold water. And you need to drill inspection holes in those items to verify they are solid and not water holding rot... JMHO
Alright
Thanks for reinforcing what I thought to be the case. I guess as a new boat owner I’ll jump right into spending a lot of time and money to get it right. I’m not shy to do either. Well maybe the money..... so likely tackle that myself. I will look for foam or other nooks and or crannies that may hold the key 👍
Cheers

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure I understand the why for gas to diesel conversion. :unsure:

Outforarip

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

as GM stated, additional weight on board is the only thing that will cause it to sit lower.

pull the boat and weigh it. compare it to specs. to sit 2-3" lower on a 25' boat would mean you have about 200 gallons of water on board

so prepare for a full gut-n-restoration

regarding gas to diesel.

remove gasoline long-tail, controls and fuel system.

buy diesel long-tail, controls and fuel system and install.

usually cheaper to buy a boat with a diesel in it to begin with.

why the desire to go diesel? short of being a commercial captain and trying to get a common fuel at the pump, or being in europe where diesel engines are prevalent. not sure the perceived advantage.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Wow to the 2000lbs worth of water.... I’ll be getting to the bottom of that. Appreciate the approximate amount of gallons to figure out how much additional weight I’m dealing with. Crazy ! That’s a lot ! How much extra weight can a transome hold ? Or stringers for that matter. Seems insane but you likely right. The only extra I have is a 15hp 4stroke mounted on the swimm platform. It’s cantilevered out so it’s weight times whatever my account for a few pounds but not that much.
As for my gas to diesel swap..... 2 reasons
First of all economy. I’d rather not fuel up with gasoline 2 times in a day. Diesel would give me longer range/time on the water. Getting fuel in itself will cost fuel. My mooring is 20 miles from the nearest pump. Through big waters. Huron big waters.
2nd driving force is reliability and torque. I have many motorized things. 90% of which are diesel. All brands from Suzuki to duramax. All run hard and break down infrequently compared to gasoline vehicles I’ve owned. All while giving me the above....economy.
In a nut shell anyway
Would really like your input on what a waterlogged transome would weigh ?
thanks
Cheers