why 'in loving memory' in car windows

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: why 'in loving memory' in car windows

Yep-they do it all the time over here too. It MIGHT be a good idea-just to remind people driving quite what an impact they can have if they let themselves slip for a few seconds.<br /><br />On the other hand, it looks a mess after a while of being left there.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Yeah...your'e driving by...crane your neck around to read the shrine....not watching the road and.....WHAM!!! here's your sign (I think Bill Engval said it best) ;)

fireman57

Captain

Ever notice that it's always Christians that get killed? You never see a Mennorrah (sp?)on the roadside?

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't intend to respark the rant... But I visted a neighboring towns KFC and they had an "In loving memory of ..." on the door as you walk into the restaurant. What the $%^#????<br /><br />When/where will it end?

Black69

Seaman Apprentice

In Idaho, the family of someone who died in an accident may erect a memorial off to the side of a road. It has to be of a material that would not cause more of a problem if a vehicle hit it and it has to be maintained. There are actually guidelines they have to follow for it to be allowed, such as height, material and it has to be so far off the main road. The idea behind it, not only as a memorial to that person but also to remind people passing by that accidents can happen and to be aware or your surrounding, or just to remind you to buckle up.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Parrott_head:<br /> And why do people bury their dead next to the higway and put a cross on it? Man, if you can't afford a proper gravesite will the body to science.
I hope you were joking and don't seriously believe that the crosses and flowers at the roadside are graves. Those are memorials to the place where a loved one died. I take them as a sobering reminder of the perils of driving.<br /><br />As for the "In loving memory..." thing, another reason I put NO bumper stickers on my cars/trucks. I also remove any dealer stickers.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am always amused by the memorial ads in the newspaper, written as if the departed still reads the paper. :rolleyes: