Why I'm nervous boating at night...

dwco5051

Commander
There was a time my job required working at night on the lake. I remember both amusing and scary times. Running up on plane responding to an emergency call and our patrol boat at the time always had a problem with reflection off the windshield when the blue lights were activated. So we would stand to see over the windshield and my partner gave out a howl like he had been shot. Actually he took a bat on the forehead at around 30 miles an hour. Another night the moon was bright and the water was still and if you were going the right direction the reflection of the moon would be an unbroken streak on the water. We both said log at the same time and as I throttled back we found a canoe with two teenagers in it about 30 yards ahead of us with no means to make a light and none on the craft out for an evening paddle. Not always dangerous but still a little weird was pulling up to a boat showing no lights which we thought were fishermen and finding an overweight couple in their 60’s or maybe even 70's trying to relive their teenage years.

airshot

Rear Admiral
This past July 4th, while waiting for fire works, there were two young folks in a canoe with a couple of those glow bands on their heads, they figured that would be enough lighting ! Obviously no training from parents or adults !!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
For many years if have boated the great lakes along with the Missippi and Illinois rivers day and night. If you are generally out on the water with little light pollution you can develop good night vision. Depending on how well you understand the waters around you and potential above and underwater hazards you may encounter. This does not mean run at top speed, however I have come into harbor off of lake Michigan or table rock lake on plane. I am less likely, but have been on plane in the rivers. You have to know where you are at as well. An understanding of responsibility and awareness of where you are. Expressing caution is essential. Some of us boat in the dark hours many times a week and are no less comfortable at night.

dwco5051

Commander
l. An understanding of responsibility and awareness of where you are. Expressing caution is essential. Some of us boat in the dark hours many times a week and are no less comfortable at night.
Agree. However awareness has to be increased when visibility decreases. Less time to make decisions when a situation arises. Now that I am 85 I realize that my reflexes and vision are not the same as 50 years ago and make adjustments to compensate. One of the biggest adjustments was getting rid of my 200hp bassboat and getting a 14'Tinny with a 30 HP motor. That was my wife's "suggestion" so she wouldn't worry as much when I was out by myself. I went along as much to please her but also realizing when it was up on the pad running flat out it could get a little squirrely and needed accurate inputs from the helm.

Last edited:

driz

Seaman Apprentice
I used to run all over Lake Champlain at night. It’s actually safe and easy if there’s any moon at all. use the shafts of moonlight if you can to see the waters surface ahead. Boats stand out well enough .
You can use your handheld cell phone with a moving map to navigate with. It’s all I’ve ever used personally and works fine with a suction cup clamp mount.
there is a really safe method to leave from idiot fests like fireworks And it’s close to foolproof. First take your time leaving. Wait patiently for all the go-fast idiots to streak away. Then get ready and start creeping out. do that till you see a boat just rolling along just on plane and fall in behind him. Stay 100+ yards back or more and just ride the center of his wake . If there’s anything to encounter you will notice him stop real quick, swerve or whatever. Just stay way back and enjoy the ride.
It’s all pretty easy just don’t make your first few outings on busy nights. Get used to it and keep the speed down to a slow plane , you’ll soon love it.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I typically run 25 or less at night. It's normally for pleasure so I'm never in a rush. My rule of thumb always was there is a large amount of people who have no business running a boat ever. And for whatever reason they especially like to be doing it at night. I find I enjoy it less and less each year honestly....

And don't get me started on the traps. The DEP also like tossing out their monitors wherever the hell they want but at least they light up...