Why glass in all the stringers?

Brassie3

Cadet
Re: Why glass in all the stringers?

I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like the people in his car.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Since a lot of the boats out there are already rotted (rotting). They are all out there pounding the waves unbeknownst to their driver. I believe a structure of 2" wide stringers, multiple cross members, and a deck all tied together and 3m 5200'd to the hull will be more than adequate. Correct me if I'm wrong

Hey! Go for it... maybe you'll invent a new way to build boats!

... or you'll have lots of fun spending time and money to take it back apart and doing it right the second time!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like the people in his car.

Then do it once, and do it right!! :)
If the factory could have gotten away with gluing PT stringers to the hull, they would have done it. Especially on the economy minded boats.

The extra glass, resin, and work hours to tie the stingers into the hull cost some decent $$$, even though the factory is getting the materials at wholesale/bulk prices. ;)

Brassie3

Cadet

I am only posing the questions and looking for advice. I agree with the tabbing spreading out the load. I also think repositioning the foam and creating proper drainage and ventilation is a good idea.

Brassie3

Cadet

boatdetail.jpg If my attachment worked, this is how the boat was supposedly built

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This is Woodonglass' stringer installation detail most folks here on iboats:

Stringers_zps840bac88.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Why not start a restoration thread in the restoration forum and show us pics of what you've done and what you have to work with (your boat)?