Why don't they hire more troopers?

Homerr

Commander
Re: Why don't they hire more troopers?

Right on the head Bomyal!<br /><br />It's far more important to put in a stupid baseball stadium or pro-race track instead of funding our troopers.<br /><br />And they get all pizzed off when the taxpayer tells them where to stuff thier outrageous budget proposal.<br /><br />H.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It's all about the money.<br /><br />No trooper around here makes that much. Most about $30,000 a year. <br /><br />The ONLY governemnt entity I know rigt off that makes money off of tickets is the Judge for his retirement, and cities that write tickets on city ordinances. <br /><br />Money generated by citations goes to schools and government general funds.<br />In most states it is ILLEGAL for citation money to go to law enforcement agencies.<br />The money generated in fines is used to subsidize the budgets. Here if we bring in 100,000 a year in citations, then the school gets about 90,000 for books and supplies. If the school needs 150,000 to operate, and we bring in 100,000 in fines, the school gets that 100,000 plus 50,000 from the state. If we bring in 90,000 the school gets that plus 60,000 from the state.<br /><br />It wouldn't matter if we did write 1,000 a day in fines (no way possible for us) we would still have the same budget and the same number of sworn officers.<br /><br />But to figure, we also answer calls fro service. Someone locks keys in their car we still do that so there goes a half hour. Someone has a dog barking next door, another half hour down. Throw in a good domestic, there goes at least 2 hours not counting report writing. Not much time to harass the good citizens with tickets.<br /><br />Almost every agency across the nation is losing sworn officers because of money, and it is only going to get worse.<br />Another problem is with agencies like here, who would come take this job, risk their life, take all of the abuse people think they are entitled to give us, and deal with everything else for $20,000 a year when they can go mow the park for $30,000 a year?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You told us how many they kept, but you did mot tell us how many that they let go, was it one,ten,etc:!!!!<br /><br />Don't worry about the ten + over the limit, here they do 30+over the limit!!!!<br /><br />And you don't need that many troopers, they would just get in the way, or be having coffee some place or shacking up!!!! ;) :cool:

ZmOz

Captain

I don't know how many they let go, I don't really care, like I said beore I think 241 is still too many. But if they're going to keep *****ing about it, the solution seems obvious. Regardless of where the money goes or comes from, somebody looking at the overall city/county/state budget should see that sending an extra ~$40,000 into the police budget means getting back ~$50,000 and having more officers. Win win!<br /><br />They could hire officers for traffic tickets only - if they find something worse in the process, they can call in backup and be on their way writing another ticket. Just like meter maids - they have the authority to write you a ticket, and for anything else they call in a "real" cop.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think we need to bring back Bill Clinton. Didn't he promise to fund 100,000 local cops? :rolleyes: