Why does my motor start on a single pull on some days and ten on others?

ringorock

Cadet
This might be a silly question. I'm relatively new to this pull start outboard thing. Is it a pretty normal part of life to make it a coin toss on how many pulls it takes for an old 2 stroke to start up? I have an 82 15 HP Evinrude. I'm the second owner. Motor is really clean and has been very reliable. Just curious as to why it is inconsistent with how many pull it takes to crank.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
do you follow the same procedure.... pump the buld hard... pull the choke - pull 1-2 times... remove the choke pull again

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some times it's just finding what procedure works best for a new to year motor. Some motors are finicky that way.

Try what Crosbyman suggested. If the choke can be set to between full open and full closed, slightly open may help. Giving a little throttle may also help. And with your third hand................Try the the other things first. :smile:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try opening the air mix about 1/4 turn, while starting -- then set it back to its original setting.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Oil mix gas goes stale pretty quickly, especially if you're using gas with ethanol in it. Also the plug wires can be leaking/arcing when they are a little damp from morning dew. When you pump the bulb to prime it do you give it a minute or so to fill the carb bowl?

Triumph55

Cadet
Oil mix gas goes stale pretty quickly, especially if you're using gas with ethanol in it. Also the plug wires can be leaking/arcing when they are a little damp from morning dew. When you pump the bulb to prime it do you give it a minute or so to fill the carb bowl?

The bulb gets hard because the bowl is full. No delay.

ringorock

Cadet
Sorry, I don't really have a problem with my motor. It usually cranks right up. I was just curious why these things are not consistent. I get that if it's cold outside, starting up may take a little longer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those motors in good condition start right up.------If it takes 10 pulls ( even on a cold day ) there is something wrong !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
See #5. I have the 9.9. Run with a lean air/fuel mix, but enrichen for cold starting.

ringorock

Cadet
Thanks, everyone. My motor runs just fine. I just had to get used to using it coming from my Suzuki four stroke, which didn't have lean/rich adjustment, easy idle control, etc. It was just easy go. I love my two stroke, and it is a champ after I figured out the air/fuel mix knob.