Why does everybody hate Force?

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I just got a 1988 force. Didn't run well right off the bat, but a little wrench turning and now she's running. Its a 30 year old motor after all and a bad stator and trigger should be shocking. She runs good now, and now I wonder, why do people hate them so much? I see so many people scoff at them, but whats so bad about these budget friendly motors? Or do I have purchase bias. I am curious what y'all think.

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, it is a budget motor, which often is not a good thing. Also, it was usually paired up to Bayliners and back in that time period, the Bayliners were really bad. The combination of the two…not good and developed a sorry reputation

topgun3690

Ensign
A bad reputation is almost impossible to overcome.....but you can get a Force pretty cheap for that reason. If you can do your own work, maintain it, and not run the hell out of it, it will last and run for a long time. Go over to the Evinrude and Mercury forums.....they have the same problems as these Force engines do....scored cylinders, melted pistons, faulty ignitions, etc. Let the haters hate.....makes it cheaper to operate. Lol.

Nordin

Commander
Agree with both topgun 3690 and Buster53.
Chrysler got a bad reputation because it was a bit heavier on fuel then OMC and Merc.
In my opinion just a bit heavier, the OMCs drank a lot of fuel too.
Chrysler had an old design of the engine, it was from the late 50.es/early 60.es as West Bend brand.
When Chrysler introduced the Magna Power II ignition in mid 70.es the reputation got worse. It was not a good system.
It failed often BUT some did not and still running in these days.
Force was a rebanded Chrysler and as Buster53 says many of them were sold as a package with Bayliner boats.
It was cheap and a step in to boating.
Many of the buyers did not know about maintaining.
They run the boat without any maintenance and the engine failed.

It does not matter what outboard brand you have, it will fail if you ignore maintaining it.
In my opinion Chrysler/Force OB is as good as the other brands back in those days.
Old school design and easy to work on. Much easier to work on as the OMC.s and Mercury.
Chrysler got a bad reputation because it was a bit heavier on fuel then OMC and Merc.
Chrysler had an old design of the engine, it was from the late 50.es/early 60.es as West Bend brand.
When Chrysler introduced the Magna Power II ignition in mid 70.es the reputation got worse. It was not a good system.
Force was a rebanded Chrysler and as Buster53 says many of them were sold as a package with Bayliner boat.

It does not matter what outboard brand you have, it will fail if you ignore maintaining it.
In my opinion the Chrysler/Force OB is as good as the other brands from those days.
Old school design and easy to work on.
Much easier then OMC.s and Mercury.
The japanese brands are really good and reliable BUT when you have to work with them the spare parts are really expensive, if you even are able to find spare parts.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Sorry about double text.
Do not know what happened!!!!
I put the text in a new post down here, easier to read.

Nordin

Commander
Force was a rebanded Chrysler and as Buster53 says many of them were sold as a package with Bayliner boats.

In my opinion Chrysler/Force OB is as good as the other brands back in those days.
Old school design and easy to work on. Much easier to work on as the OMC.s and Mercury.
The japanese brands are really good and reliable BUT when you have to work with them the spare parts are really expensive, if you even are able to find spare parts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Force and Johnson around 1988 85hp.
Both got about the same mileage.
A customer had a 23 225 and my 21 with twin 85 Forces got just about the same 3.2 mpg.
Force was actually cheaper to fix than ALL the other outboards.
AND there was NO MAJIC in fixing them, just get the manual and a DVA meter and they almost fix themselves.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just like Chrysler Auto Engines, the Mechanicals were fine, but the Carbs and Ignition Systems left a lot be desired. However, with a Chrysler Outboard, you didn't need to keep a Screwdriver in the Glovebox, like you did with the Cars/Trucks

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I hate any brand where I have to pay $115 for a $20 impeller.
Force is there.
OMC is probably on its way.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If force and Chrysler were so bad. How come so many sold? Chrysler sold the outboard business because it was the only thing they had that was profitable. Also as far as older designed motors OMC was running their crossflows up until 1998. Those started life as the fay fifty from 58/59. As far as the price of impellers blame Mercury for that.

Nordin

Commander
Guy48065 where do you buy impellers to Force/Chrysler for 115 dollars?
A impeller kit to the larger engines.... yes, but just an impeller no.
They cost from 14 dollars and up to about 45 dollars.
Parts to Chrysler/Force are most of the time equal in cost to the OMCs.
I am in Sweden Europe and have no problem to find wearing parts to Chrysler/Force and to acceptable price.
Parts to OMCs starts to be pricey and some of them hard to find.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just like Fords or Chevys, what have you had the best luck with ?? Owned a couple Chrysler outboards over many years of boating. They worked OK but never top notch. OMC motors of the same hp would outrun the Chryslers. The OMC always idled much smoother and slower for easier docking. Always had to wait on Chrysler/ Force parts...never in stock. Were they bad motors...no...but yes they were frustrating when operating or repairing them. The word spread...and over time folks wanted the less frustrating choices.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Guy48065 where do you buy impellers to Force/Chrysler for 115 dollars?
A impeller kit to the larger engines.... yes, but just an impeller no.
They cost from 14 dollars and up to about 45 dollars.
Parts to Chrysler/Force are most of the time equal in cost to the OMCs.
I am in Sweden Europe and have no problem to find wearing parts to Chrysler/Force and to acceptable price.
Parts to OMCs starts to be pricey and some of them hard to find.
$121 including shipping for this tiny impeller for my 1990 5 hp Force (by Mercury). There are plenty that cost much more. Have you looked around at parts cost for old motors lately? o_O

Screenshot_20230919-123341_Dolphin.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is called "Supply and Demand". They have the Supply, they will make the Demands