Why do we have to title a car?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Does anyone ever think back to very basic questions.<br /><br />I often wonder, why do we have to title our cars? To prove we didnt steal it? Do I have to prove I didnt steal the money in my pocket? Do I have to be able to prove that I didnt steal the ring on the wifes finger? I have owned cars that are worth less than my wifes ring, but no one ever asked for the title to her ring. :D <br /><br />I know many will say, it protects the owner from theft. We'll why dont we have to title everything worth over 500 bucks? Laptop computers, jewlry, etc. All can be easily stolen.<br /><br />Did we have titles for horses? Did we have titles for horse drawn wagons?<br /><br />I am not anti-government. I would just like to know why.<br /><br />Ken

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why do we have to title a car?

I aint got my thinker working the best today to explain it but it has to do with enforcment . Basically the police/courts cannot enforce laws to some extent until you register it and therby agree to fallow all laws pertaining to it. Somthing like that anyways.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Yet registering a car and titling it is to different things. It is possible to do both without doing the other. Good question Ken.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I think it was to prevent forgories.<br /><br />Prior to titling, you could steal a car in NY and drive it to TX, claim you "can't find the paperwork, because someone ransacked your car on the way, and stole the plates too!"<br /><br />Titling is just a way for enforcement agencies to be able to communicate with one another, to protect your expensive investment.<br /><br />Sort of goes under the same heading as to why you have to have a title for your house.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Yet registering a car and titling it is to different things. It is possible to do both without doing the other. Good question Ken.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Yet registering a car and titling it is to different things. It is possible to do both without doing the other. Good question Ken.
Hey KB, studdering a little today are we? :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why dont I need a title for all the other stuff I have? It could be just as easily stolen.<br /><br />A title for land is necessary, I agree. It tells exactly where the borders are so no one else can claim the land. They could claim it without being dishonest. Just a mistake.<br /><br />I have heard in some South American country most land does not have a title. You just own it, cause your father did. It has been that way for generations.<br /><br />I recon the reason is that car theft was rampant back in the days. Hotwiring took about 5 seconds, not even sure the very early cars even had keys.<br /><br />Do we still need to title the car any more?<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Here is another question...<br /><br />Why do we need to put license plates on our cars? It is only helpful when someone commits a crime. Who thought of that idea, and what was its original purpose?<br /><br /><br />I just start thinking sometimes it is amazing what we accept as normal these days, sorry for rambling.<br /><br />Ken

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Prior to titling, you could steal a car in NY and drive it to TX, claim you "can't find the paperwork, because someone ransacked your car on the way, and stole the plates too!"<br /><br />Titling is just a way for enforcement agencies to be able to communicate with one another, to protect your expensive investment.<br /><br />Sort of goes under the same heading as to why you have to have a title for your house.
Soo...we title our houses so nobody can drive them from NY to TX???? :D <br /><br />-JustMrWill

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Native Americans didn't have title to their land and look what happened to them. :eek:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Excellent point JB!<br /><br />Funny JustMrWill. <br /><br />Isn't it amazing how one can manipulate what someone has said, into something they didn't say?<br /><br />KIZ, you bored today?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

<br />KIZ, you bored today? [/QB]
Yes, but I am thankful for it. Last week was too darn busy.<br /><br />Maybe its cause I havent had a beer in two weeks, cause I was trying to get over this stupid sinus infection. I think I need a beer to kill off some of these brain cells that grew while I was on the wagon. :D Maybe I'll take a look at the "Pot" thread. :D <br /><br />I just think of questions that maybe no one ever questioned before.<br /><br />Think about it, why did the put licence plates on cars? Why are they any different from a horse drawn wagon?<br /><br />Usually laws are made because of a particular incident. I wonder what that incident was. A car was used to kidnap a kid, and someone said, "if there was a number on the car, we could have seen it as it was driving away".<br /><br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You have a car title because you can't protect your ownership of it by keeping it in your possession, e.g., locking it up in your house, or carrying it around on your person when you take it places.<br /><br />Just a theory.

NathanY

Commander

Some states dont title cars, or didnt use to. I had a guy that used to work for me that bought an older ford pickup, the state that it came from, did not title them or something. It was registered and he had a bill of sale, but it was still a big process to get it titled on oklahoma. They had to call the other state and verify that it wasnt stolen and all that. Anywhooo, he got it titled and it took several weeks and several notorized letters.<br /><br />Boats and motors are not titled in Arkansas, but the trailer is :confused: :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't have a title to my property/house.<br />I have a warranty deed, which was issued by the previous owner and conveys his ownership rights to me.<br />The accuracy and legitimacy of this document is insured by title insurance, and in my case also by an abstract. The title insurance is what protects mine and the bank's financial interests.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Somehow I misplaced the title to one of my pickups. Yesterday I went to the highway dept to get a duplicate. They asked if I wanted to pay $35 to get it now or $15 and have it mailed in 2 or 3 weeks. Now that's a ripoff !!! To charge that much for something that's already in the computer and all they have to do is print another one. Gotta love SC.. they get your money coming and going. Then there's the property tax on cars, boats, motorcycles, etc...... but I don't wanna cry so I won't get into that. Why did I move from Florida.... sigh.