Why do they think they have to lie?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am really tired of it.<br /><br />"Kerry wants to (do something bad to you)!!" :eek: <br /><br />"Bush wants to (do something bad to you)!!" :eek: <br /><br />They know it's a lie.<br /><br />I know it's a lie.<br /><br />They know I know it's a lie.<br /><br />Does any rational person believe any of that ratzakratza pergaclosicpep junk?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Why do they think they have to lie?

That's the problem, JB. There are too many uneducated, irrational people out there on the voting registry. So it becomes a popularity contest. I also think it only takes one person in a political race, who flames his opponents, to bring the others down to his level. It's hard to stand by while someone spouts lies about you and not fight back. Before you know it there's mud on everyones face. And another thing, why do politicians post those stupid signs all over the place. On every corner there are at least a dozen banners. Are we supposed to vote for whoever posts the most signs? Don't tell me what your opponent is doing wrong, tell me what you can do to make things better.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well said Drowned Rat. We should be able to take a test to be able to vote,procreate,ect.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> And another thing, why do politicians post those stupid signs all over the place. On every corner there are at least a dozen banners. Are we supposed to vote for whoever posts the most signs?
Everything y'all have said is true, and the answer is really just market research, plain and simple. Research tells us that people remember negative things longer and more clearly than positive things. Campaign people know this and use this and will continue to do so until it doesn't work anymore (which isn't likely, as it seems to be psychological in nature). <br /><br />The most popular form of campaigning and advertising is using FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to make your target audience uncomfortable, and then try to comfort them. It's the same tactic abusers use to take advantage of their victims. It's sad, it's disgusting, and it's rampant. The only defense from it, as you implicitly stated, DR, is education. <br /><br />On an additional note, a friend and I asked a local politician who was soliciting our vote why he put those d@mn ugly signs everywhere in our neighborhood. He explained how his campaign managers explained it to him and sent us some links to research articles on political sign-posting. It turns out that the signs made a huge difference according to the research--enough that he felt compelled to use despite personal tastes ( :rolleyes: ). Anyway, my $0.02, whether it's worth it or not ;) .

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

The Romans had the Circus Maximus while their society crumbled and we have our political system.<br /><br />We really need something to change the overall status quo...I just have no idea what it would take.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

LMAO ...<br /><br />why do you think I've stayed out of the political BS here on iboats..<br /><br />... I need facts!!<br /><br />-not someones opinions ... not what "He" said, "She" said crap ... <br /><br />-not two grown men verbally battling like 13yr. old school girls ...<br /><br />-not the media relaying false information, quotes, slander and rhetoric....<br /><br /><br />....GIVE ME FACTS!!! ... <br /><br /><br />I have 3 'local' politicians in the family ... and wouldn't/haven't given any of them a nickel because of the fluent BS that spews from their mouths like sour milk from a Holstien calf with the 'scours' ... reminds me too much of 'family' to listen to the BS thrown about like a play-ground ball in a game of 4-square!<br /><br />We as a society need to 'get real'!!! - put our opinions and beliefs aside and start dealing with truths, facts and reality.<br /><br /><br />WHEW!!!!! .. that felt good! ..<br /><br />thnx JB

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Parrott_head:<br /> The Romans had the Circus Maximus while their society crumbled and we have our political system.
The Circus Maximus was used for 900+ years by the Romans. We should be so lucky.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Hmmm...a certain presidential candidate is trying to portray himself as friendly to the Second Amendment, but his record clearly demonstrates otherwise. There can be no doubt that he would not hesitate to sign into law just about anything that the Schumer/Feinstein crowd could manage to push through Congress.<br /><br />"...tax guns...tax ammo..."<br /><br />To me, that means that a certain presidential candidate does indeed have evil intent, and he wants to do something bad to me---and you too.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

achris

More fish than mountain goat

How can you tell if a politician is lying?<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br /><br />.<br />His lips are moving.......

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

dogsdad ... (not meant personaly)<br /><br />Tax the H-E-Double-Hockey-Stick out of them both!!!<br /><br />Taxation is legal!<br /><br />WHO GIVES A CRAP!<br /><br />Great!<br /><br />Grand!<br /><br />Wonderful!<br /><br /><br />Just don't tell me you (they) are going to take them from me!!<br /><br />or I would have to disagree ... STRONGLY!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It is very sad, makes me embarresed to be a citizen of the USA.<br /><br />They should make everyone read www.factcheck.org before they vote.<br /><br />I also think that an unbiased citizens group should have to approve every commericial for factual content.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> It is very sad, makes me embarresed to be a citizen of the USA.<br />Ken
Politicians & BS are the same no matter where on this blue sphere you live. We've just been through an election - truck loads of money and promises thrown at the voting public - sound familiar. Now, after the election is over, they are talking about core promises and non core promises. Makes me ponder, what the h*ll is a non core promise - answer: political BS. <br /><br />Good luck. Aldo

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Aldo,<br /><br />A non core promise is one which they think they can get away with breaking without too much trouble. <br /><br />A core promise is one which would hurt their own pocket too much if they broke it.<br /><br />Chris.........<br /><br />P.S. We are about to have a state election (December, I think) and the BS money promises have started already. Over the weekend the encumbant promised, if re-elected, to abolish motor vehicle registration fees. And I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and flying dragons too.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> And I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and flying dragons too.
Me too!!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Among the list of talents required to make it as the leader of a modern western democracy...you'd have to include "part time Snake Oil Salesman"...<br /><br />I think it's the same in many countries including my own :rolleyes: In our case, better make that "salesperson"...

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Sorry, but I think you've all lost your freekin' minds. I gave one example of a politician who has evil intent, and sorry JB, but you're wrong.<br /><br />Barlow, you may disagree all you wish. If you think taxation is not a step towards confiscation, then you live in a fairy tale. If you truly care about your Second Amendment rights, you'd better educate yourself. Or perhaps you think taxation is a good thing. I'm glad your viewpoint was not the prevailing one in 1775.<br /><br />Seems to me that all this BS we are being bombarded with by the media is taking a toll.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm just going to ignore this... <br /><br />JB - ?? anyone ... I am alone in a dark place ...<br /><br />it's my little happy place ..<br /><br /><br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~REALITY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br /><br />" HERE, EAT THIS MUSHROOM."<br /><br /><<< as barlow chases the rabbit back to the fishing forum >>>

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Achris<br /> ya forgot leprachauns.<br /> shame on you.<br /> should be a civil suit there someplace. I get to work on it :) :)