Why do people...

NathanY

Commander
Pull their key out of their boat? I can understand if it is docked or moored somewhere, but if its trailered? Why? I have never forgotten my key, because its where it goes, in the ignition. No one is going to steal your boat because the key was left in it. Thats what trailer locks are for. Keys are not going to fall out of the ignition when traveling. You have enough to worry about when boating, remembering the key should not be one of them.

D

DJ

Re: Why do people...

Why?<br /><br />Why make it easy? A boat with everything there is allot easier to fence than one with stuff missing-like the key.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That way I know the ignition is off and the battery will still be up when I need it next.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are oportunistic thieves too, kids typicaly who would impulsively grab a boat key just because they can. I remove the key and the gas tanks.

ndemge

Commander

you guys probably expect me to go pull the key outa the van in my driveway too<br /><br />sheesh... some people<br /> :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You must not live near anybody or not have kids.<br /><br />Kids will do anything for no reason at all.<br /><br />Ken

Drowned Rat

Captain

My key stays in the ignintion, but the boat stays in the garage. :)

ZmOz

Captain

My key hasn't left the ignition once since I bought the boat two years ago. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You mean that thing you turn to start my boat is a key? Go figure, they think of everything don't they...Chief ;)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My ignition doesn't have a key. It has a rope.. I leave that on the boat. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I remove mine same reason a previous posts, don't want it to disappear. Plus, I don't want anyone unknowingly turn the key and have it start dry.

NathanY

Commander

I live in little Mexico, and have never had any problems with anything missing, kids in my boat, or anyone in my yard that was not suspose to be there. I never take my key out, same goes for all my equipment, I leave it all in the boat.<br /><br />I was just curious for your why you removed your keys...

Twidget

Commander

I have a bunch of cousins in the Beaver Lake (Arkansas) area. When we were kids, they used to joyride boats at night that had the key in the ignition.<br /><br />After hearing that, when I got my own boat, I started taking the keys out. I leave them in the armrest of my truck. Since the truck is all I tow the boat with, its highly unlikely I will forget them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Maybe for the sane reason people lock bathroom doors.... even when they are home alone!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Real funny you should have this post today also. We just came in from outside where my 9 yo JUST lost the key to the lawnmower. Thank God they are universal.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Maybe for the sane reason people lock bathroom doors.... even when they are home alone!
Lock the door? Heck, I don't even shut it. If the kids walk in and I'm sitting down, they don't hang around. 'Nuff said.<br /><br />If we're having a group of friends over, I do shut it.<br /><br />I know, TMI. :D

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I figure if someone is gonna take my boat, then my ignition system sytem is really not that fail safe, all they gotta do is pull the rope :D <br /><br />Belchy

aspeck

Staff member

Boat is usually in the garage, but the key is in the ignition - even if it stays outside. Only time key comes out is if I leave it at the marina, then key goes under the seat, or some other place in the boat. Shucks, there are so few keys for boats, it is no problem to find one that fits if you really want to steal one.