Why do I have to pull the driveshaft???

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Next weekend I have to bring a 1994 Ford Explorer to Miami from 250 miles away. It has not been run and has been parked 50 yards away from the beach in salt air for a year. I am told that the engine will start but the battery is now dead. Also all the tires are nearly flat.

I am thinking about renting a tow dolly rather than trying to get it running and driving it due to concerns about the tires, belts, hoses, etc.

I have been told that it is necessary to remove the drive shaft to tow it. Out of curiosity I am wondering why??? Not that pulling the drive shaft is a big deal but I am concerned that I may not be able to remove it due to the salt air or might break some of the bolts due to rust.

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Why do I have to pull the driveshaft???

You should pull it becouse even with the trans in neutral its still turning and will cause damage to it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Without the engine running the pump in the torque converter is not pumping transmission fluid through the transmission. Like the previous poster said, there is enough spinning that without the fluid pumping, you can damage the transmission.

rwise

Captain

with a tow dolly you still have 2 tires on the ground, maybe a trailer would be better, just a thought. And then you don't have to pull that drive shaft

flashback

Captain

the answers regarding the trans are correct. but you don't need to pull the drive shaft. just put the rear end on the dolly and leave the front wheels on the road. make sure the steering wheel is locked or tied off

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If towed with the rear end on the dolly would it be safe to run at turnpike speeds - say 65 mph?

Bondo

Staff member

It could Probably be done,.......

But I'd pull it Forward after I pulled the Driveshaft.........

SuperNova

Lieutenant

If you gotta rent a tow dolly, why not just rent a car trailer (u-haul has them also) and then you don't have to worry or work at all. That's the route I took last couple of times I had to tow a questionable vehicle. Couse, I had to learn the hard way on the side of the road a few hundred times first.
--
Stan

flashback

Captain

If towed with the rear end on the dolly would it be safe to run at turnpike speeds - say 65 mph?
sure, the main thing is having the steering wheel tied off, if it has a little slack in it it doesn't matter but if it is allowed to turn freely the vehicle can go down the road sorta sidways.. but I have towed many of them this way. actually if you need to back up you can put a helper behind the wheel and it makes it much easier.. those dolly's are a PIA to back up...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Another option, put the front wheels on the dolly, start the Explorer and put it in neutral, Should keep the fluid pumping to prevent damage.
But, the engine would be idling for 4 hours. ?

Best option is a full trailer.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might be wrong, but doesn't the tow dolly need to be the type that articulates to make up for the rear wheels not being able to turn?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I might be wrong, but doesn't the tow dolly need to be the type that articulates to make up for the rear wheels not being able to turn?

No...does your boat trailer articulate?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I though they all do. The deck with the wheel ramps is on a swivel, and aside from the slack safety chain, completely free from the rest of the dolly. When you put the front wheels on you are supposed to lock the wheel. The whole deck swivels.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yeah, that's what makes them a ***** to back up.
--
Stan

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hey Solittle, you didn't mention if it was a standard or not. If it is a standard, putting it into neutral should be okay. Automatic is a no no to tow over 15mph.

In simple terms, if it is an automatic, the input shaft spins the pump causing the converter to lock and thus trys to turn the engine over. Pull starting an automatic can be done, but not recommended.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto the backing up issues. Gave up real fast on the most recent one. Just an 1800 pound MR2 so it was pretty easy to push on the flat concrete. In the past we have always borrowed friends race trailers. Much easier to back up. ;)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Thanks to all and it all makes sense now. I may have lucked out. I was talking to a friend about moving the car and he said that he would take care of it for me as he is a used car dealer and plans to go to Orlando soon. He will pick it up on the way back. I will feel much better when it is here but glad that I won't have to tow it. I was not concerned about the towing itself but cracked tires and other ???? stuff. I will see for myself as I'm heading north on Saturday.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I usually rent car trailers when Im towing a car. makes it for better towing IMO. the ciost is minimal since yo have to rent a tow dolly anyway. i think the difference where Im at is about 30$
if you can flat tow it if you get a tow bar installed.
Rob