why do boats have steering on the right?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: why do boats have steering on the right?

Most - if not all triple engine boats ( outboards) have two that are conventional and the third being ccw. The main reason for this is money. A counter rotating engine costs more. Let's face it, if you have a vessel big enough to handle three motors then the money should really not be an issue.
That's why I only have one. :D

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Under IALA B aids to navigation rules for NA your give-way zone is on your starboard side from dead ahead to 30 degs aft of your starboard beam. This gives the operator with a starboard mounted controls the best visibility over this zone and is thought to be the safest.

reference-cards_wheel.gif

That's what I've always assumed...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Okay, now that's one I didn't come across in my boating research (as a newbie boater), so I'm guessing it is because it is easier to move an object on wheels over a concrete or asphalt surface than it is to move an object through water. Hydrofoils, because of their very small footprint in the water, go faster and probably get better mileage than ordinary planing vessels, and ordinary planing vessels go faster and probably get better mileage than those with displacement hulls that basically have to plow through the water.

So, my short answer would have to be "Resistance".

Yeh, fairly simple at 3,000 rpm a typical planing boat is moving at about
25 mph.my Subaru turns about 2,800 at 74 mph.and gets about 28 mpg.
And thats with full time all wheel drive.
Now a displacement hull driven at displacement speeds 6-8 mph can get
close to 30 mpg with the proper setup.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

NavyJr has it dead nuts on in one aspect. It is resistance that gives a wheeled vehicle an advantage over a planing or semi-planing hulls; yet displacement hulls have far less resistance as Steelspike noted. That is the reason barge traffic is far more profitable to move things that are bulk cargo.

An interesting use of a few hours is to go down to your local library and read a book on basic boat design or hydrodynamics. It does not have one? Then have them get one in. The price is right and the education is fun also. I might highly recommend "Yacht Designing and Planning" by Chapelle. Also have the librarian type in "Marine Hull Resistance" and two publications by the US Navy and one by MIT will show up. They are written so that anyone can understand them. No engineering degree required.

I happened across the Chapelle book when I first got out of highschool. Now I have my own displacement hull that is steam powered. It along with some of my other boats has logged many thousands of miles with less than one horsepower per marine ton to push them at 5 to 10 miles per hour.

Two weekends ago, I took the thirty footer out and spent four hours going twenty five miles at less than half throttle and on the equivalent of just two gallons of gas (it is a wood burner, so things don't translate exactly). I have an aquaintance that says his towboat gives four times the ton/mile that ordinary trucking does, and I think that this is what the Corp of Engineers states. (check out the McClellan Kerr Arkansas River Navigation website to confirm this.)

As a gut intuitive acceptance that water gives a great resistance at speed, just remember what it felt like the last time you tripped while skiing!:D Now think about it as you slowly walkout in the water to launch you boat.

Just some thoughts.

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is intresting and your theroy seem sound, but then I have to ask if you look at a prop airplane most pilot seating is on the left, or as we sayy the port. and most props if your setting in the cockpit are turning clock wise. so your weight is on the same side as the prop is turning, that would blow apart your answers just my 2 cents

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

this is intresting and your theroy seem sound, but then I have to ask if you look at a prop airplane most pilot seating is on the left, or as we sayy the port. and most props if your setting in the cockpit are turning clock wise. so your weight is on the same side as the prop is turning, that would blow apart your answers just my 2 cents

I think trimming a plane for prop torque if any is simpler and more effective than a boat.

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all planes have prop torque except jets, just haveing fun trying to get people to scratch there heads and think:D

rascal38

Seaman Apprentice

I think we have it backwards. Now we have to hold our beers in the wrong hand! That would be the port hand and most of us use the starboard hand for this maneuver.

puddle jumper

Captain

Its the rest of the worlds fault since most of them drive on the wrong side of the road. This then carried on to the boating world.

I don't know but sounds good to me.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

this is interesting and your theory seem sound, but then I have to ask if you look at a prop airplane most pilot seating is on the left, or as we Say the port. and most props if your setting in the cockpit are turning clock wise. so your weight is on the same side as the prop is turning, that would blow apart your answers just my 2 cents

Gee, now that I've been promoted from a cadet, think I'll try chiming in on this again!

I'm assuming EdTheArcher is speaking of a single engine general aviation aircraft, perhaps a Cessna, Piper or something similar. I actually had occasion to fly one in my younger days and while you could feel the torque of the engine right at start up time, it wasn't much of a factor in flight. Really never had to give it much thought. My guess is it was because the air flow over the wings pretty much stabilized the aircraft.

Regarding trim control, if I recall, we adjusted the trim to keep the aircraft level fore and aft to counteract the nose heavy tendency of the plane and to account for changes in the center of gravity caused by the weight of us passengers and any gear we had aboard. On shorter flights it didn't matter much, but on longer flights it sure helped prevent sore forearms.

Someone also took me up in a helicopter once (one of those small glass bubble types). Talk about prop torque. That's a different matter entirely. There really are no wings. Well, actually, the rotors are the wings. Had to give it lots of left rudder just to keep it in a straight line.

Anyway, that was a hundred years ago, so some of my recollections might be a little rusty.:redface:

SandMan*

Seaman

Just a factor to consider when comparing planes to boats... Water is much more dense than air - more resistance (torque) on the prop.

shamus2

Cadet

it's because cars in all developed countries have the steering wheel on the right hand side...

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boats need Counter rotating props to go straight. Other wise they'll dog track, big deal for a planing hull not so much for displacement hull. Ran across this effect when I was piloting a landing craft.