Why do Americans spell differently?

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why do Americans spell differently?

Medoc - <br />Yeah - -yougottaproblemwitdat? :D :D :D <br /><br />Do I detect a displaced Jersey-ite?<br /><br />-----------------------<br /><br />If I remember my grammar-school history correctly (hah! right...) There was this guy named Noah Webster, who had a lot to do with changing spellings :<br /><br /> http://www.m-w.com/info/noah.htm

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by KilroyJC:<br />If I remember my grammar-school history correctly (hah! right...) There was this guy named Noah Webster.......
Was his brother the one with the Ark????

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone had to bring boats into the discussion, huh? :cool: :cool:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You betcha, Jersey Shore.....JK

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah? Which part? I got friends from Middletown down to Manahawkin, mostly concentrated around the Irish Riviera...I'se spends lots of time down there!

PW2

Commander

Canada shares the spelling traits of the Brits.<br /><br />"I have to check to see if the cheque made it to the mail"<br /><br />Oh, and a tonne is a metric measurement--1000 kg.<br /><br />A ton is a US measurement, 2000 lbs

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Island Heights, Seaside-TR area.....JK

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah -- I'm the bennie who heads down the shore more in the winter than the summer...so I don't have to put up with those damn bennies either!<br /><br />-----------------<br /><br />I'm OK with the different spellings, but the different words for certain objects is confusing. Napkin is one that has caused a mite of embarrassment. . .

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Bill Bryson's paperback 'the Mother Tongue' explains a lot of the differences in the written and spoken English language in a humorous and interesting manner.

KRS

Banned

We've progressed, y'all must still be draggin knuckles and what not. <br /><br /> :) <br /> :) <br /> :p

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Has anybody thrown ebonics into the mix?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Yo, U axin' da homies 4 da 411 on me smack? U buggin. Peace out. :D

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well if you Americans come here, certainly never tell anyone you root for a football team and don't try and buy a fanny pack.Totally different meanings here and quite funny to hear these phrases in the movies.<br />I suppose I come from a small country and I don't think we'd start tampering with the spelling of words in an official sense although we probably use quite a few sayings foreign to you.<br />Don't even mention shrimps and barbies. The irony of this throw a shrimp on the barbie is that no Australian would EVER say that but it is almost a national slogan overseas. We don't call them shrimp. The ad was changed so Americans would understand it which is quite ridiculous when you consider that it was meant to sound Australian.

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll tell you what else you do differently is write your day and date the other way around. Quite confusing sometimes when you go to set the date on a digital device or want to confirm a date. One notable date is the September 11 tragedy that is often referred to as 9.11. To me that's the 9th of November which is my son's birthday. So you can see that confusion reigns supreme down here where we get fed a diet of both cultures and ways of doing things.<br />I need a drink....

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well to me a shrimp is something like a sea monkey. Hardly a meal really. The larger edible 'shrimp' are called prawns.

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well to me a shrimp is something like a sea monkey. Hardly a meal really. The larger edible 'shrimp' are called prawns.