why carpet... why???

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: why carpet... why???

HydroTurf!!!

Before and After...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Stays plenty cool, and the only "stains" I have had any trouble with were bubble gum and motor oil. The bubble gum scraped off with light scraping with a knife blade when it was cool, and motor oil came up with 2 applications of dish soap and a tooth brush. Mud rinses right off.

Never had it get hot enough to get uncomfortable, even the dark blue I used on this boat or the lighter purple I used on my 14' Seadoo boat.

So, get a boat with carpet, and pull the carpet up and use it as template for cutting out your HydroTurf sheets.

Also great on swim platform!

attachment.php

southkogs

Staff member

I'm on boat #2 with a marine vinyl floor covering. Both boats were/are over 30 years old too. The decks do get hot on occasion, but the seats are always hotter - so, you plan ahead. The "get home, hose out, drain & dry clean" factor overrides any advantage that carpet would ever give. I have friends with a carpeted deck - light color - and after a couple of years that carpet looks like a crime scene.

nlain

Commander

My boat in my signature came without carpet, I like it that way. First boat had carpet, not removable, hard to get clean, had to leave the cover off for days to dry, it would usually rain. Snap in carpet I don't think would be too bad, pop it out to clean and let it hang somewhere to dry. I don't really notice the white fiberglass deck getting that hot, bimini is usually up which may help. As stated, keep looking they are out there without carpet.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carpet is a Must in AZ. I couldn't imagine having a FiberGlass Deck in 110+ degrees.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I'm likin' the HydroTurf! Who sells that? After 20 years my snap in carpet is starting to show some age, that could be a good replacement. Does it have some sort of backing that it could be used with snaps? I toss my snap in carpet in the lake regularly to keep the floors cool and to rinse off dust, Dorito crumbs etc. It's never mildewed or smelled. But I also have fiberglass floors with drains so rot isn't a problem anyway. The fiberglass is too slippery for doggie paws also.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Carpet can hide a wealth of sins in fit and finish. Show me a top grade boat, Boston Whaler, Parker, Grady, etc. with carpet or other evil substance trap.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Www.hydroturf.com. pay extra for the 3m adhesive backng. Makes intallation much easier. Did contact cement first time and it made a mess. On old jet ski.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both my last 2 boats had fiberglass floors. You dont need to get a center console to not have carpet. I know for sure that Tahoe, Chaparral, Sea Ray, Monterey, Regal, Stingray all come with no carpet. Bayliner even has an option to eliminate carpet. I am sure there are others, I just have not really looked at any. My 01 Tahoe had fiberglass floors. So if you look around you will find them. Definately easier maintanance.

And do not rely on people telling you one boat is easier to maintain than another. They are all about the same. There are quirks with each style. You get the best boat for you and your family and dont let others on here influence your decision because of some unsubstantiated claim that one is easier to maintain than another.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jprice - I used to live "in" Roswell, but barely in Cobb County.

Anyway, consider shopping for a "dual console" model. They are more or less a center console in a bowrider configuration. No carpet or at most snap in.

By the way, we have a center console and 3 kids and a dog, and we tube, ski, etc, with no issues. They just aren't as cushy.

Also, the Sea Hunt mentioned above is a quality, "affordable" boat. You may need to look in coastal areas, or even Columbia, SC or Augusta (freshwater). They are everywhere here.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

re: "And do not rely on people telling you one boat is easier to maintain than another. They are all about the same."

This is simply not true. Look at the different responses about covering a boat. My all-fiberglass Key West has been outside uncovered since 1988 and the surfaces look fine. You can't do that with carpet, padding, vinyl, interior details like dashboards, or wood. I have seen colored hulls fade from sun; never seen a white one fade.

My first boat, when I was 11 or so, was a wooden sailboat. I learned "maintenance" with that puppy.

Obviously, mechanical maintenance of an outboard is the same no matter what transom it hangs from. That's not the subject here.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

re: "And do not rely on people telling you one boat is easier to maintain than another. They are all about the same."

This is simply not true. Look at the different responses about covering a boat. My all-fiberglass Key West has been outside uncovered since 1988 and the surfaces look fine. You can't do that with carpet, padding, vinyl, interior details like dashboards, or wood. I have seen colored hulls fade from sun; never seen a white one fade.

My first boat, when I was 11 or so, was a wooden sailboat. I learned "maintenance" with that puppy.

Obviously, mechanical maintenance of an outboard is the same no matter what transom it hangs from. That's not the subject here.

Not sure why you insist on arguing these points all the time. He is obviously not looking at a center console if what he has already looked at has carpet. Doesnt seem all that hard to figure that one out. So, when looking at boats with carpet, most likely a bowrider, you are going to have seats, most likely covered in some sort of vinyl. That also seems like a given. SO the only other thing I could be talking about is the engine choices. He said he lived in the Southeast, so no winterizing, And as I keep saying, there really isnt much differance in maintanance aside from a couple quirks for each choice.

Your boat is not the only one on the planet, and is NOT the best choice for a lot of people. Why you think it is, is beyond me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Funny, I though we were on the same page. Your first post agreed that carpet was a pain and it was easier not to have it--basically that a fiberglass boat like yours (and mine) required less maintenance than the ones this guy looked at when he started his search. Meanwhile, he seems receptive to looking at several types of boats, and asks for recommendations. I, and others, gave him alternatives to what he first saw.
And the boat I described (I have, have had and now use several boats of varying styles) is a "fish n ski" or a dual console, which is pretty darn close to a bow rider--it just doesn't have any carpet or permanent upholstery. And if I recall, the link I gave him was for a dual console with some built-in upholstery, not my preference but one I'd recommend for some people even though I wouldn't get one myself.
Peace out. If I see you on the river tomorrow I'll give you a beer.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Funny, I though we were on the same page. Your first post agreed that carpet was a pain and it was easier not to have it--basically that a fiberglass boat like yours (and mine) required less maintenance than the ones this guy looked at when he started his search. Meanwhile, he seems receptive to looking at several types of boats, and asks for recommendations. I, and others, gave him alternatives to what he first saw.
And the boat I described (I have, have had and now use several boats of varying styles) is a "fish n ski" or a dual console, which is pretty darn close to a bow rider--it just doesn't have any carpet or permanent upholstery. And if I recall, the link I gave him was for a dual console with some built-in upholstery, not my preference but one I'd recommend for some people even though I wouldn't get one myself.
Peace out. If I see you on the river tomorrow I'll give you a beer.

In the quote you used for me I meant engine style.

I want 2 and they better not be diet beer damnit!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree. engines are engines and take the same maintenance.

No diet beers allowed. They are an abomination.