Why can't I paint with automotive paint instead?

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to repaint my boat. Why cant I just prep the surface like I would a car and paint the outside with Centari acrylic enamel with the gloss overall hardner? Isn't a boat which is fiberglass just like a corvette ? I have been painting cars for years and this seems like it would work. My boat is trailered and only sees fresh water. If I used auto type paint I would get a great gloss that way. Any reasons why I shouldn't?
Thanks in advance!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why can't I paint with automotive paint instead?

It works great. For most boats there is no reason to only use "marine paints", many are just repackaged products that are sold under other names to other markets.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you do good prep work it will hold up fine.

Bondo

Staff member

I Agree,...............

Except I'd go for 1 of the 2 part Ureathanes........
MSU from NAPA is what I've been shooting.........

And,..... As Mark says,+ You probably all ready Know,........

It's All in the Prep Work..............

studlymandingo

Commander

The biggest problem is you won't be giving those poor struggling boat part suppliers the business they need. As you may well know the profit margin on marine related items is very low!;)

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't mention "marine profit margin"...you may start a firestorm with the FORCE OF A THOUSAND SUNS, AND THOSE SORRY BASTAR.. .............oh.............I'm sorry.......I blacked out for a second..

Anyway, I would spend the few extra dollars to get the name brand stuff as they tend to have much better "flex" under stress.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:% Ok i have taken a close look at ingredients, how many auto paint's use kerosene as a active ingredient plz explain?

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hull of my Searay SRV220 was painted at an auto body shop several years ago (before i bought it) and has held up beautifully for me. Still shines nice...

searay.jpg

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

If you don't feel like coughing up the money for something like awlgrip (which seems to go up in price daily :devil:), auto paints like Imron work great.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you use a non-marine product on a boat the sun will implode and suck the entire universe into it....other than that...it will be fine. :)

Seriously...if trailering...automotive paints will be fine...if mooring/slip...you will want the antifouling below waterline.

-JMW

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Yup. Imron works good on planes too. A boat would be a piece of cake.

smwwoody

Recruit

Can you paint the entire hull with imron then go over the imron with anti foul stuff from the water line down?

Woody

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

You could, but why use the extra paint. I'd rather go over the gelcoat with some anti-gelcoat blistering 2 part epoxy then go with anti-fouling paint.

rost495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I started work out of school in a boat building shop, we did repairs a lot also.
Imron was the paint of the day back in the 80s and I recall it being mentioned about Imron being formulated for planes.
Anyway we sprayed a lot of it. I never saw an issue in the years I saw the boats around.
Would think it to last as long as gel or any good paint.

Jeff

studlymandingo

Commander

I just rode on a friend of mine's boat, used to be my boat. I painted it about 19 years ago with Imron. It's still shiny! Painted a couple of boats with the NAPA stuff, they did quite well also.

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have some experience with painting and spraying ( cars, planes for Grumman , boats, etc.) and some of the most durable stuff I have used has been Sikkens catalyzed enamel. It is 3 part; 1enamel1, hardener1activator,( reducer if it is hot and dry ). All sprayed through a HVLP setup for bathtub and tile reglazing- . I did a couple of boats (cars too) and had excellent results. Also 2 part epoxy primer helps with adhesion and durability.

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for this interesting thread and supporting comments!