Why am I being logged off after about 5 minutes?

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Apparently happens mostly when writing a reply or a new topic.Very irritating. Now I was reading something about this and was just logged off. Have not found the post again so I am writing this. There was a suggestion to click "Remember me" when logging in. Why didn't I think of that? Probably because at other sites "Remember me" is used to remember your Username and/or Password when you return to a web site. If you are actively using a site you are not logged off. A log off timer is a "setting" you chose to go into effect after a designated period of inactivity. If use of the forum wasn't free, I would be out of here.

toneeees

Administrator
Apparently happens mostly when writing a reply or a new topic.Very irritating. Now I was reading something about this and was just logged off. Have not found the post again so I am writing this. There was a suggestion to click "Remember me" when logging in. Why didn't I think of that? Probably because at other sites "Remember me" is used to remember your Username and/or Password when you return to a web site. If you are actively using a site you are not logged off. A log off timer is a "setting" you chose to go into effect after a designated period of inactivity. If use of the forum wasn't free, I would be out of here.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. The "Remember Me" on this forum works to remember your session, this will keep you logged in longer than our 15 minute time out time. A majority, if not ALL of vBulletin forums, has a "Remember Me" function that works the exact same as ours.

If you are actively browsing the website and clicking through pages, you are correct, you will not be logged out. However, if you sit on a page for longer than 15 Minutes( I believe this is what it is currently set to), then you will be logged out. This includes creating a new topic or reply.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi toneeees. Maybe that's why I lost my post yesterday. I was carefully wordsmithing a new post when suddenly the screen flashed twice (I think), my post was apparently lost in space, yet I don't think I was actually logged off. I haven't gotten up the energy to start that post over again. Perhaps it's best to compose a post in Word first, then copy and paste. The problem I find with that though is that some things like apostrophe's don't paste correctly from Word 2010 into iBoats. It's ironic that only the posts that have taken a lot of time to compose are the ones that get suddenly trashed. - Grandad

toneeees

Administrator
Hi toneeees. Maybe that's why I lost my post yesterday. I was carefully wordsmithing a new post when suddenly the screen flashed twice (I think), my post was apparently lost in space, yet I don't think I was actually logged off. I haven't gotten up the energy to start that post over again. Perhaps it's best to compose a post in Word first, then copy and paste. The problem I find with that though is that some things like apostrophe's don't paste correctly from Word 2010 into iBoats. It's ironic that only the posts that have taken a lot of time to compose are the ones that get suddenly trashed. - Grandad

I will chat with the boss today and see if I can extend the timeout time a bit longer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I have to pre compose a message, I use Notepad because of the way the text is encoded, in Word it is not encoded in a simple text format, in Notepad it is true text format and will paste into the system with no problems.

toneeees

Administrator
We have decided to increase the time limit. Everyone should have plenty of time to create a topic/reply now.

If you click on the A (Advanced Editor), there is an option to paste from Word, which should handled the encoding issue.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is there something similar (advanced editor for Word) for use of Notes on my MacBook Pro? I have trouble copying/pasting (fonts, punctuation -- single quote ('70 Evinrude) becomes double quote ("70 Evinrude). And I'm getting nervous now because this is too long winded, and I'm going to have to refresh......

actually, posting here seems leisurely. auto-saved, no cut-off. Maybe something to do with the way other forums are set up?

southkogs

Staff member
I don't use Notes, but I do use the TextEdit app on my Mac Book sometimes. From there it's a pretty straight copy/paste.

But, at least in Safari for me ... I have all of the time in the world to type. The auto-save has even pulled me out of a accidental CTL+W once in a while :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
interesting. I'm using Safari as well, and getting timed out a little more than I would like. I'll try TextEdit. Thanks much.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Using Safari here, textedit works great.

I check the remember me box when logging in.
Then I bookmarked the forums page - AFTER I was logged in.
I click this bookmark to access iboats.

I only get logged out once every 3 or 4 months.
Sometimes when I do a software update, or when I re-power the mac.

I went almost a year one time, then had to scratch my head a while till I remembered the password.

I never get logged out while browsing, even if I park on a page while I cook dinner.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
also good info. Thanks, Roscoe. I'm using a bookmark, but Safari is not doing autofill (used to, but think I messed up the setting). Messed with Textedit some, now, but haven't used it for posting yet. I just got used to bouncing around with Notes. Don't have Word/Office installed on this laptop -- probably should have just done that as I had gotten pretty good with Word (rusty now with Excel). And think I'm almost over WordPerfect....

ah -- but have gotten pretty good at using keychain to locate passwords, if needed. Pretty sure the iBoats username and password is there, although "it" doesn't autofill.

southkogs

Staff member
probably should have just done that as I had gotten pretty good with Word (rusty now with Excel)
Might try Pages and Numbers from Apple. I really like Pages and Keynote smokes Powerpoint for presentation stuff ...

Autofill is in Safaris preferences. You may have just clicked the check box off.