Who's got their garden started....

ehenry

Commander
How many of yall have gotten your garden started. I got part of mine planted yesterday afternoon (dont ya just love daylight savings time). Got a couple rows corn planted, tomatoes, peppers, squash and some snappin beans. Going to wait a little longer for my peas, beans, oakra, melons and other assorted goodies.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Who's got their garden started....

Frost Isn't even out of the Ground Yet Here.......<br /><br />We usually plant Tomatos in Late May to avoid a late Frost......

Moody Blue

Captain

Garden ? Is it that area of frozen earth still buried under 4" of snow that we got last Sunday ? It will be awhile before I even give it a second thought. Usually 3rd week in May before all risk of frost is gone. First things first - got to get the boat ready to go.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I haven't planted mine yet but we tilled our soil and added mulch and all natural fertilzer(aka horse poop) Sunday. Will probably plant today or tommorrow.

LadyFish

Admiral

I have buds on my tomatoe plants already. :p <br /><br />My garden might be small but its mighty. :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only got strawberries planted in a raised bed. The veggies have to wait until the house is finished, the septic field given the OK by the county and top soil is spread. Can't happen too soon. :rolleyes:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I got maters growing year round.. which reminds me, got some to pick... :D

ehenry

Commander

We've had tornados and torrential rain here most of the day. Wouldnt suprise me if I have to replant most everything I planted yesterday. I'll just have to wait and see.

ZmOz

Captain

I just covered my garden with gravel. Needed more parking. :D

Homerr

Commander

Frost is still in the air around here...<br /><br />Gonna wait a little longer.<br /><br />H.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />My garden might be small but its mighty. :D
psssst. Mr Ladyfish?.......... is that you? :confused: ;)

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No garden this year....I'm going to see if I can starve the deer to death.<br /><br />Jinx

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Why of course we do: tomatoes,onions,potatoes,corn(first year growing this)so far. Its my husband's garden mostly(he does all the work), I get the benefit of enjoying it and I do that very well. I do help with the watering though,but with the drip system in this year,it should do fine with little help from me. Yum!<br />Bassy

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Built my garden shed on top of my garden. Only way I could think of to kill the weeds I had started.<br />Did start on my flower garden the other day though. I unlocked the gate and looked at it, kicked a dead twig out of the path. But it looked like rain, so I went inside and watched Springer. Maybe next week.

Link

Rear Admiral

Why would anyone plant corn? At .10 a ear it takes up too much space! At least in my little garden. Just wondering. ? ?

ehenry

Commander

I guess folks plant corn for the same reason they plant any other vegetable in their garden. I plant it because we like it, we put it up and because I can.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I guess folks plant corn for the same reason they plant any other vegetable in their garden. I plant it because we like it, we put it up and because I can.
Fair enough, I just don't have the space for it. I keep thinking from a city dwellers POV (point of view) small area to grow things and need to get the most you can from it. City life over the years changes how you look at things. Not for the better I might add. Point taken... cancel other post :)

ehenry

Commander

Link, last year was a bad year for me and my garden. THe rain drown out everything I tried to grow and I bought my corn from a grower outside of town 250 ears for $8.00. I could'nt have grown it for that.

Link

Rear Admiral

efhenry <br />In the late 80's I was showing off my garden to my fishing partners wife and she being a practical woman showed me where my corn was that I could get at least 15 more types of vegetable plants. So starting the next year there was no more corn. :( In 1997 a guy came into the shop to pick up his stuff and said it had been a very good year for his garden. They had already canned as much corn as his family could eat for the year and he still had 200+ ears left. Would I mind taking that for the $20.00 repair ticket as he did not want it to be wasted.<br />We had not had home grown corn in years so jumped at it :) <br />Ha ha.. didnt look like that much corn in the back of the truck!<br />When Mrs.Link got home you could not walk in the kitchen or dinning room for the boxes of corn! <br />I believe her first words were "What have you done now"<br />I said we going to can them.<br />Then she asked those annoying little questions like<br />Have you ever canned anything before?<br />No but my folks used to<br />Do you have any idea of what equipment is needed?<br />No but it can't be that much<br />Do you have any idea of what your doing?<br />No but it can't be all that hard<br />hehe lucky for us her mom had boxes and boxes of canning jars and lids were easy to find.<br />We canned every night for a week. But didn't have to buy corn for over a year! :D