Whoa...is this normal?

aqua_spud

Cadet
Well....I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my walleye boat after twenty years and bought a 2008 1625 Lund Rebel XL Sport.
I got a great deal on this little-used boat. Its one owner unexpectedly passed away, but his pride of ownership shows.

I do have one question and concern. When I looked over the bow keel area very closely I was really disappointed to see the shoddy rivet work by Lund. The areas between the rivets are bulged out like they have freeze damage. Seems really outrageous on a newer boat of Lund quality. Also it looks like there should be twice the rivets down the whole seam!
When I looked at my old 1990 16' Sea Nymph backtroller I saw that the same bow keel area was 100% better riveted with no gaps in the aluminum at all.
And I have been hard on this little boat over the years.

The lund has been garaged during its short life.
Should I be concerned about this? Should I invest in a keel guard as a measure to keep the area clean of sand and other small debris? Should I apply a thin line of clear seam sealer?
I'm wondering if I should have bought a welded boat! :/

Pics are attached, The pic with the many rivets is my old Sea Nymph, the one with less is my new Lund. I'd love some opinions. thanks, guys.

Attachments

• DSCN3413.jpg
    DSCN3413.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN3414.jpg
    DSCN3414.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0

a1akeywest

Banned
Re: Whoa...is this normal?

im not 100% sure but i would say there is nothing wrong with your lund. im sure that it is sealed within that guard and water will not come in. maybe u could go to a lund dealer and take a look at how it is on a brand new boat. for all you know thats the way she rolled out of the factory.. however this does show that things just arnt built the way they used to be.....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

See if it leaks before you "fix" it, there may not even be a problem.

That is sealed under the keel strip and I am sure it is okay, it looks like it did that because they didn't use as many rivets as your Sea-Nymph and I am sure it is fine, i run a Sea-Nymph too and they did go through some rivets when they built them.

If you beach the boat to load I would get a keel gaurd, the rocks or cement will take a tool over time.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amazing quality difference. Better craftsmanship and better materials on the Sea Nymph all around. Times they are a changin.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Is it leaking? Do you have a deck in the boat?

Do a SEARCH in the iboats forum's for Gluvit. Most of the aluminum boats DO NOT have a seam in the keel but on the sides of the boat. The keel strip is actually there for wear and control purposes.

The primary reason you are a bit upset is because you have two to compare side by side ;) Take a look in the resporation section and see hoy easy it is to keep those rivets sealed up.

aqua_spud

Cadet

Thanks for the insights, fellas. She hasn't see agua yet, but I'm sure that there are no leaks. If nothing else this really shows the wane in quality in the last twenty years--especially on a Lund boat!
When I'm at the dealer I'll eyeball a new one, but I suspect any 1625, 1725 etc, will be identical.
I'll call Keel guard and see if they offer a strip for my mine, if nothing else it will keep crud from the area--and I won't have to look at that lack of rivets! lol.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

seems to me (pun intended) you'd want a drain hole in the "keel" since water is bound to get in there. Or drill a hole and drain it, seal the edges and the hole; check annually. I doubt the inside is treated.
This is coming from a salt water perspective; more experienced tin boat guys may want to disagree

Alumarine

Captain

seems to me (pun intended) you'd want a drain hole in the "keel" since water is bound to get in there. Or drill a hole and drain it, seal the edges and the hole; check annually. I doubt the inside is treated.
This is coming from a salt water perspective; more experienced tin boat guys may want to disagree

On my tin boat the keel(s) are open at the transom end so water drains.

aqua_spud

Cadet

Yes, agreed. But my thinking is that those slight gaps might be areas where water can accumulate and heave with freeze. The keel itself isn't made to be water proof so to speak.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your pictures are very similar to my 2000 Lund WC16. My boat has a few areas like that; however, it has never leaked a drop. I have noticed at the very back of the boat and the bottom of the curve of the keel, it has drain holes. I?ve never thought about water getting in there and freezing.

Even if some aspects of that boat don?t look solid, my guess is that is a very good boat.

aqua_spud

Cadet

Thanks Clark...was hoping to hear from another Lund owner. I''ll not sweat it.

a1akeywest

Banned

Thanks for the insights, fellas. She hasn't see agua yet, but I'm sure that there are no leaks. If nothing else this really shows the wane in quality in the last twenty years--especially on a Lund boat!
When I'm at the dealer I'll eyeball a new one, but I suspect any 1625, 1725 etc, will be identical.
I'll call Keel guard and see if they offer a strip for my mine, if nothing else it will keep crud from the area--and I won't have to look at that lack of rivets! lol.

maybe even running a bead of caulk along that edge would clean it up good enough,, and stop sand and crud from going in there???

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at my new LUND 14.75 and it's the same way, but not as bad.
My dosen't leak, except when I leave the drain plug out.