Who would love to get to the internet from boat??

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Who would love to get to the internet from boat??

Not sure about anybody else but I go out there to "Get Away from this stuff".Plenty of other navigational devices and services available.Don't think I would want my laptop bouncing around out there on the waves.Don't take me wrong...If that's what you want go for it.As for me No Thanks.Get enough at work and home so I really don't need it on the boat.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Alex P Smith:<br />
Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I hate to tell you, but there is NO way you could provide this for free and not loose money. It's just not going to happen...
Who said anything about free I guess I did give this impression.I just said the end user shouldn't have to pay for it.<br />It should be paid for by the ones who use it to help earn profit. :cool: <br />Alex
Do you really think a marina is going to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to set this up, and then $1000+ a month for the required connection, and then not charge anybody to use it? Not going to happen. Ever. Coffee houses, airports, hotels, etc all charge for such a service for a reason. I really don't mean to be an ***, but this is also not something most people would want. The only place I could see it catching on is ocean going boats who are out for several days, but they already have a service for that.

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
Originally posted by Alex P Smith:<br />
Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I hate to tell you, but there is NO way you could provide this for free and not loose money. It's just not going to happen...
Who said anything about free I guess I did give this impression.I just said the end user shouldn't have to pay for it.<br />It should be paid for by the ones who use it to help earn profit. :cool: <br />Alex
Do you really think a marina is going to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to set this up, and then $1000+ a month for the required connection, and then not charge anybody to use it? Not going to happen. Ever. Coffee houses, airports, hotels, etc all charge for such a service for a reason. I really don't mean to be an ***, but this is also not something most people would want. The only place I could see it catching on is ocean going boats who are out for several days, but they already have a service for that.
You may be right about the catching on part but where do you get your figures. I have setup lots of these things so far in coffee houses and restaurants hotels all I might add do not charge the end user for this yes they take responsibility for the monthly fees no where near 1000.00 wasn't my intention to get this deep into it but there are ways of bringing down the costs to the point where some of my clients are actually making money with it<br /><br />Yes I have seen the pay as go model it will not last long IMO too many barriers to ease of use as well as expensive. <br /><br />If anyone wants more info you can PM me <br /><br />Alex<br />Thanx to all for the input.

pursuit 3800

Cadet

This is why man in the western world dies early. He buys a boat goes out on the water to get away from it all, but technology tracks him down and makes him take his work anyway? Please do not bring this to my marina, I like to get away from the world, if only for a little while.

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by pursuit 3800:<br /> This is why man in the western world dies early. He buys a boat goes out on the water to get away from it all, but technology tracks him down and makes him take his work anyway? Please do not bring this to my marina, I like to get away from the world, if only for a little while.
Yes you could work from your boat. I wouldn't.<br />You got a phone at home, do you not? Is it only for work? Your kids if you have any use the net and I suspect you do as well since you posted here. Were you working when you posted this? <br />I for one if I'm having problems with my boat would love to be able to get to this forum for help if needed.<br />And yes if you want to work you could as well.<br />But it most defiantly not just for work anymore<br />And you do have a choice do not use it, if available<br /><br />Alex

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Heck, I don't even have a cell phone.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with you Ratfish.Life hasn't changed for the worse because I don't have it.