Who wants to play "Your opinion MIGHT matter"?

Surely there is enough knowledge in this forum of what boats were made over the last 50 years that I could similarly transform into my final “big” boat.

Ref attached photos. Current fishing boat is a 1973 17’6” Browning Aero Marine Monterey (Aerocraft) with a 1986 bulletproof and 100% reliable but VERY THIRSTY Johnson 150 Seahorse. We call it the “Five hundred dollar boat” because the boat/motor cost $500. We (mostly my son and I) fish A LOT in both salt and fresh water. A huge benefit in having the “five hundred dollar boat” is that when we hit stuff in the water or brush up against or bang into something solid like a bridge pilon or the Selma Cement ship, “WHO CARES”! The more money a boat cost, the more I’d care! This boat was originally set up for skiing (platform, ladder, two pairs of fold out seats and two seats in the back). To configure it like I wanted, I removed all the interior, fiberglass patched a few floor areas, put in nice but much cheaper REMNANT outdoor carpet that was almost the perfect length to fit what I wanted covered, re-installed JUST the foldout seats and installed my electronics package and SWITCHABLE trolling motor on the boat. This gave me a clean and roomy fishing back deck with sides that were high enough we could lean against when reeling in reds, drum and shark AND a front top I could walk around on and cast from. Installed a bimini, rod holders, and anti-slip pads on TOP of the front and back. Cost an arm and a leg to feed the carbbed 150, but this thing will hit 43 MPH GPS on a calm day and never fails to start. How I’ve set it up has been perfect for my family when EVERYONE doesn’t want to go at the same time! ALL THIS TO SAY, I’m at a lifestyle crossroads and am trying to decide whether I will just repower with a Suzuki 140 four stroke (50lbs heavier) OR buy and convert another 20-25’ piece of junk that fits my interest.

IF I were to pursue a LONGER boat, below are things I’ve discovered I REALLY want to duplicate from the five hundred dollar boat.

• Large open back deck fishing area WITH thigh high sides.
  • Open bow with large top area around the bow (stick on non-slip pads for standing/casting)
  • Open front seating for the wife/daughters
  • Dual console with windshield for cold weather boating to the fishing spots
I’ve looked at deck and pontoon boats, but they lack the large clean fishing back deck or in other areas. What I am wanting to know from YOU is, what old fiberglass boats were made that had the above four items that I could transform into a longer scaled version of what I’ve put together in my five hundred dollar boat (see pics). I’m only interested in matching my items but preferably on a 20-25’ platform. Surely there is enough knowledge in this forum of what boats were made over the last 50 years that I could similarly transform into my final “big” boat.

Attachments

• 500 boat top front to back.JPG
    500 boat top front to back.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 500 boat top front to back with bimini.JPG
    500 boat top front to back with bimini.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 500 boat top front to back with bimini fishing.JPG
    500 boat top front to back with bimini fishing.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 15

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When you said FINAL you blew me out of the water. I became a boater in about 1954, and owned my first own boat in 1968. My Final boats finally arrived in 2017 and 2019. That was after many moons of trying different things.

A buddy had a Browning just like yours. Nice boat and all, and yours looks to be in meticulous condition. But, running that girl in the rough waters of the Mighty Niagara hurt our gonads every day. That's why they don't make tri-hulls any more.

My first thought was to recommend a Boston Whaler. That's my forever boat. But, then you said Dual Console so that kinda limits things. They DO make such a thing, but they don't come cheap. When you said "old", that cuts down the availability as well.

Seems to me you got a gem already. Most people would sell their first born for a beauty like yours that only cost $500.

In MY case, I needed and wanted all the things you itemized. But it took 2 boats to get the job done. In the end they cost more than my house.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Older aquasport 24' dual console. However it will either be perfect and expensive, or needing lots of work

When you said FINAL you blew me out of the water. I became a boater in about 1954, and owned my first own boat in 1968. My Final boats finally arrived in 2017 and 2019. That was after many moons of trying different things.

A buddy had a Browning just like yours. Nice boat and all, and yours looks to be in meticulous condition. But, running that girl in the rough waters of the Mighty Niagara hurt our gonads every day. That's why they don't make tri-hulls any more.

My first thought was to recommend a Boston Whaler. That's my forever boat. But, then you said Dual Console so that kinda limits things. They DO make such a thing, but they don't come cheap. When you said "old", that cuts down the availability as well.

Seems to me you got a gem already. Most people would sell their first born for a beauty like yours that only cost $500.

In MY case, I needed and wanted all the things you itemized. But it took 2 boats to get the job done. In the end they cost more than my house.
You are right, it is a gem. Just trying to get it/things “just right” while there’s still money and muscle. Maybe I’ve already arrived and don’t know it. Will make a decision after people weigh in. Thanks for the response.

mr 88

Commander
What's your budget ? If under 10,000 fuhgetaboutit , and even that number is low for what you want . Anything under that number and the odds are it's a 80's 90's rot box .

What's your budget ? If under 10,000 fuhgetaboutit , and even that number is low for what you want . Anything under that number and the odds are it's a 80's 90's rot box .
Thank you for taking the time to response. To your point, that is exactly how my poor family grew up. We had almost EVERYTHING anybody wanted. Were the items new? Nope, not by a long shot. Most people these days only know how to spend money. They are either unwilling or unknowable on how to put in a season (summer, winter) of planning and executing major/minor repairs, refurbishing and engineering “things”. 15 years ago when all three kids were in diapers, I could have lost my shirt in a $25K boat loan that I couldn’t use very often because I was busy doing those father/dad types of things. However, I COULD afford diapers, groceries AND $500, sporadic time and put my tools to use. Ended up having $ in the bank, going fishing frequently in the five hundred dollar boat and not selling a $25K boat I could not afford at the time. All that to say, JUST LIKE I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST, I am game for buying old and repeating the above. Being later in life, I now HAVE the money to spend, but neither foot is in the grave, so why blow $10,15 20K when my tools still work if I’m willing to use them. This post isn’t about budget. I only asked what 20+ foot boats over the last 50 years are closely configured by the mfg with the billeted items “I” like. Are you aware of any boats that fit my criteria. Just looking for boat names/pics.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I only asked what 20+ foot boats over the last 50 years are closely configured by the mfg with the billeted items “I” like.

The only way you will know is if you look at different boats. Then buy one that suits your taste and budget. There are a lot of avenues online for seeking pics/info regarding used boats for sale

Nobody on this forum is you, with the exception of you. You will know what you want, nobody else

Best way to garner opinion here is to locate a boat you're interested in, post pics/info about it and ask folks opinions on it

FWIW I like older Bertram boats in the 20' (+) range. However most are sterndrive/inboard and not outboard powered and that is strictly my opinion, ymmv

The only way you will know is if you look at different boats. Then buy one that suits your taste and budget. There are a lot of avenues online for seeking pics/info regarding used boats for sale

Nobody on this forum is you, with the exception of you. You will know what you want, nobody else

Best way to garner opinion here is to locate a boat you're interested in, post pics/info about it and ask folks opinions on it

FWIW I like older Bertram boats in the 20' (+) range. However most are sterndrive/inboard and not outboard powered and that is strictly my opinion, ymmv
Absolutely correct and thank you for your reply. Much like “financial” crowd sourcing, I am “information” crowd sourcing. I don’t KNOW all the boats out there from over the last 50 years. I look frequently, but haven’t discovered one that is close enough to my criteria. The internet doesn’t provide results when I put in my four criteria and photos. However, surely 15% of the 97K forum members that actually participate have come across boats that might work. Therefore, hopefully the 3 pics and four bulleted criteria AND story in my original post will engage a few knowledgeable forum participants to say “hey, I once saw a 1977 Star Moon Sun Runabout made by Widgets-R-Us that might be what you’re looking for”. THAT would be helpful and what I’m seeking per my original post. My English is really bad, so it probably got lost in translation.
  • Open bow with large top area around the bow (stick on non-slip pads for standing/casting)

mr 88

Commander
You will put more money into your project boat then if you went out and bought what you want to restore , and you will probably not find a older ( 80s ) boat that checks all your boxes to begin with . And that's where you will spend all your time and money $$$$ for a couple years to get it done correctly. We all have our hardship stories to tell would you like to hear them ? Have at it and good luck !

You will put more money into your project boat then if you went out and bought what you want to restore , and you will probably not find a older ( 80s ) boat that checks all your boxes to begin with . And that's where you will spend all your time and money $$$$ for a couple years to get it done correctly. We all have our hardship stories to tell would you like to hear them ? Have at it and good luck !
Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct, that extra $600-ish I spent on the $500 boat including tires for the trailer PLUS all my extra evenings and weekends over 30 days was exactly as you described…my willingness to save $15K while being a young father of 3 kids. Worked out perfectly for me and I got the exact boat I wanted minus 4 stroke and 2 extra feet long.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
I own a 1997 Renken Seamaster Dual Console 20 footer that sounds just about what you have described. See if you can find one of them. I have a 140hp Johnnyrude on it and a 9.9 kicker. It tops out at about 40mph and has a 50 gal built in gas tank for the longer excursions. Sitting area and standing area up front, built in rod holders and bait/fish tank in back. Under the front standing area is a nice storage area with drains that hold my trolling motor batteries, but could easily hold ice for fish. It is a nice "all around" boat. I added 2 more swivel seats behind the pilot and co-pilot seats so I can fit 4 people in the back and 2 or 3 in the front. All in a 20 ft boat.

Surely there is enough knowledge in this forum of what boats were made over the last 50 years that I could similarly transform into my final “big” boat.

Ref attached photos. Current fishing boat is a 1973 17’6” Browning Aero Marine Monterey (Aerocraft) with a 1986 bulletproof and 100% reliable but VERY THIRSTY Johnson 150 Seahorse. We call it the “Five hundred dollar boat” because the boat/motor cost $500. We (mostly my son and I) fish A LOT in both salt and fresh water. A huge benefit in having the “five hundred dollar boat” is that when we hit stuff in the water or brush up against or bang into something solid like a bridge pilon or the Selma Cement ship, “WHO CARES”! The more money a boat cost, the more I’d care! This boat was originally set up for skiing (platform, ladder, two pairs of fold out seats and two seats in the back). To configure it like I wanted, I removed all the interior, fiberglass patched a few floor areas, put in nice but much cheaper REMNANT outdoor carpet that was almost the perfect length to fit what I wanted covered, re-installed JUST the foldout seats and installed my electronics package and SWITCHABLE trolling motor on the boat. This gave me a clean and roomy fishing back deck with sides that were high enough we could lean against when reeling in reds, drum and shark AND a front top I could walk around on and cast from. Installed a bimini, rod holders, and anti-slip pads on TOP of the front and back. Cost an arm and a leg to feed the carbbed 150, but this thing will hit 43 MPH GPS on a calm day and never fails to start. How I’ve set it up has been perfect for my family when EVERYONE doesn’t want to go at the same time! ALL THIS TO SAY, I’m at a lifestyle crossroads and am trying to decide whether I will just repower with a Suzuki 140 four stroke (50lbs heavier) OR buy and convert another 20-25’ piece of junk that fits my interest.

IF I were to pursue a LONGER boat, below are things I’ve discovered I REALLY want to duplicate from the five hundred dollar boat.

I’ve looked at deck and pontoon boats, but they lack the large clean fishing back deck or in other areas. What I am wanting to know from YOU is, what old fiberglass boats were made that had the above four items that I could transform into a longer scaled version of what I’ve put together in my five hundred dollar boat (see pics). I’m only interested in matching my items but preferably on a 20-25’ platform. Surely there is enough knowledge in this forum of what boats were made over the last 50 years that I could similarly transform into my final “big
I own a 1997 Renken Seamaster Dual Console 20 footer that sounds just about what you have described. See if you can find one of them. I have a 140hp Johnnyrude on it and a 9.9 kicker. It tops out at about 40mph and has a 50 gal built in gas tank for the longer excursions. Sitting area and standing area up front, built in rod holders and bait/fish tank in back. Under the front standing area is a nice storage area with drains that hold my trolling motor batteries, but could easily hold ice for fish. It is a nice "all around" boat. I added 2 more swivel seats behind the pilot and co-pilot seats so I can fit 4 people in the back and 2 or 3 in the front. All in a 20 ft boat.
Thanks! Sounds nice. I can’t find any photos of this with dual consoles. Will keep looking. If you get a chance to post a couple of photos of the deck, please do!

briangcc

Commander
More modern, as in last 10 years, deckboats and pontoons both meet those specs. Bayliner's deck boats you can spec out with trolling motor and livewell. Pontoons you need to find one with a fishing setup - think Tracker toons here, fishing barge.

Heck my current boat meets your must haves...just happens to be an I/O. They did sell an Outboard powered version of my boat until they dropped the H2O lineup a year or two ago.

I think you need to up your budget dramatically.

More modern, as in last 10 years, deckboats and pontoons both meet those specs. Bayliner's deck boats you can spec out with trolling motor and livewell. Pontoons you need to find one with a fishing setup - think Tracker toons here, fishing barge.

Heck my current boat meets your must haves...just happens to be an I/O. They did sell an Outboard powered version of my boat until they dropped the H2O lineup a year or two ago.

I think you need to up your budget dramatically.
Thanks. Considered the deck boats, but not seeing one with a wide open back deck. Most appear to have wrap around seating I. The back and that is right in the way. Pontoons don’t fit at all. “Budget” just doesn’t fit this equation as much as application. I know that is difficult to separate, but it is easy for me. I want a fishing boat JUST LIKE MINE, but 2-4 feet longer. even considered getting a Hurricane deck boat and ripping out the back 5’ of wrap around seating.