Who uses the least wood in new boats?

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, are there moderately priced sm. 17-18' runabouts that use little or no wood in the deck and stringer systems?<br />Mess'in with the idea of a new boat to keep a long time, New so I know where the maintainance started. But don't have lots to spend.<br />Thanks for thoughts.<br />gary

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Who uses the least wood in new boats?

That's Caravelle's calling card. 0% wood on their boats. Not even in the seats or trim. Of course you pay a little extra for it, but not too bad...I would call them an "average" priced runabout.<br /><br />But these days most runabout manufacturers use wood-free stringers and transoms...I think even Bayliner brags about this, and you can't find boats much less expensive than theirs. Not sure about their decking, though.<br /><br />Frankly, I think "wood free" claims may be a bit overrated. For example, Crownline has all kinds of wood in their boats, even in the stringers and hull. According to my local dealer, they experimented with wood-free a few years back and didn't like the noisy ride and handling, so they went back to wood because they simply felt it built a better, more luxurious boat. Yet they back it with a lifetime warranty. So if it rots 38 years from now (and Crownline is still in business), they'll fix it for free. That's good enough for me. Of couse Crownline is a fairly premium runabout brand and likely will not fit your budget.<br /><br />Bottom line is if you buy a boat new, care for it and store it properly, don't let it float in a slip all summer, and most importantly keep it as dry as possible on the inside, it'll last a lifetime without a speck of rot. So I don't feel it's too important to get real hung up on the "wood free" thing.<br /><br />If you research each mfrs websites you'll get all your answers about their construction methods.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with craze1cars. I have an '84 Rinker with gobs of wood in it. Everything wood is rock solid as the boat has never sat outside. Last week we were on vacation and the boat got tied up to a dock for a week. Was the first time it had ever sat outside overnight. Anyway, when cared for properly wood is no prob.<br /><br />Jeff

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Most of your new boats now a days are going the "woodless" route especially in the stringers and transom, the most trouble prone areas. Of course, this doesn't mean they are a better boat,...it just means they wont rot. Ask the Mfg's, they'll tell you.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wood that is properly encapsulated in glass will last forever. The problem arises when cheap manufacturers do a poor job of glassing the wood or when someone does a modification and fails to re-seal the wood.<br /><br />HeadHunt

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

glastron was one of the first to come out with completly wood free construction on their hull, deck, floors, stringers, and transom which is why they offer a lifetime transferable warrenty on the boat on all models built with VEC technology. Sea ray recently came out with a similar construction as did caravelle.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! looks like most are not useing much wood.<br />now to see if I can afford one... should I say... if my wife says I can aford one ;-)

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

THE first, for I/O bowriders, was Bryant. By several years.<br /><br />Kelly

phatmanmike

Captain

key west boats have zero wood and a lifetime warranty

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

A big tip-off to wood construction is a wood floor. If the floor is wood, you can bet there is structural wood as well. However, a glas linered cockpit does not guarantee a wood-free boat. Linered cockpits have been around for a long time, even though it's only lately that they are common on I/O bowriders.<br /><br />Kelly

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

When looking at a boat , new or used, to be sure if there is wood or not ...just remove a deck plate or hatch or something similar to see if there is wood in the construction.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> Triumph is wood free
Which may be part of the problem :D

Sooner44

Seaman

To each their own, but one thing is for certain "Wood Rots". I have a 21 ft SeaRay that has been completely rebuilt due to rotting wood, floor and everything eles, and yes, most of the fault lies with the owner (ME). I did not properly let the boat dry prior to covering the boat, I stored at my lake cabin, under a carport most of the time, gets pretty humid around the lake !! Any way after that ordeal, I'm done with wood, if some of you guys like wood, more power to you, but I'm done !! I now have a wood free <br />V-hull and love it ! And yes, I do still have the old tank (SeaRay), now with glassed floor and most of the other wood removed or glassed in. Just an opinion.

txswinner

Banned

How about an aluminum boat if you hate wood.

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

alum boat has wood floors seats etc