Who Plays Harmonica?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Looking to buy a quality harmonica by Hohner. Looking at the 24 hole models. This one is described as:

The double set of reeds on Hohner's Echo Celeste create music with a beautiful, vibrato effect. Special tuning produces a distinctive tremolo sound. Silver brass reeds, laser engraved covers, and padded zipper case.

It comes in all 12 keys. What is the best all around key to get? A, E, or C?

DV019_Jpg_Regular_421091.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Who Plays Harmonica?

Both of my Echos are in C.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

JB, should have known.... :) My Dad has a Chromatic Hohner from when he was a young man, making that harmonica about 60 years old. He can really blow that harp! LOL! It has that button on the side, and I never really gave it much thought. Now I am beginning to realize that the Chromatic style harmonicas can do a lot more than a non-chromatic. Dad's harmonica is in a neat leather box with red velvet lining. Today I see the chromatic styles run from about $120 to $200. Bet Dads old Chromatic is worth a few bucks, no?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW, I play blues on the guitar. So I'm thinking that a 24 hole in E might be the best be for me. Ya think?

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I play a little and own many harps in all keys. My advice to you, especially if you are just learning to play is to get an inexpensive 5 to 10 dollar harp in C and don't get one with wood in the middle, get plastic. A good harp player can make awesome music on a cheap harp and if you don't yet play there is really no sense buying a quality harp, trust me.

It took me a month practicing every day to learn the simple tune, (ironically enough) Michael row your boat ashore. BUT after I learned that song I could suddenly play other songs I had never practiced. You brain learns where to go for the notes and you don't have to think, it's instinctive.

My favorite style harp is called a special 20 by Honer. The way the harp fits your hand and slides across your mouth is important that's why I said get plastic.

On a side note many people will tell you to get a harp with wood in the middle and tell you you have to soak it in water before you play. The reason for that is when the wood in a harp dries out it shrinks and makes the metal vibrate. A new wood harp is tight and does not need soaking so don't get one new and immediately soak it, just get one with plastic in the middle.

Really, a $5 metal and plastic harp is where to start, and it can make awesome music, really. Seriously.