Who manufactured tri-hull outboards in the 80s?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello. I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm looking for a tri-hull from the 80s. Both my wife and I like them.

I'm looking for a fish and ski maybe? Mostly it will be for fishing and leisure and if my boy wants to do some tubing we want that option as well.

So here's what I'm looking for:

4 person comfortably (or six in a pinch).
Tri-hull
Bowrider
Outboard (needs to run in skinny water)
17 to 19 foot (the shorter the better)

I really don't want a deck boat or pontoon.

Any suggestions would be very Helpful to me. I know glastron, cobia, and
Glacier bay, maybe?

Thanks for the help.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who manufactured tri-hull outboards in the 80s?

Rinkerbuilt.

Right here in Syracuse Indiana.

They are now known simply as Rinker though! :D

Oh yeah, there were a bunch more, but that was the one brand I looked at before I got an education on tri-hulls and became intimate with modified deep-vee's instead! :D

YMMV! ;)

southkogs

Staff member

Imperials weren't bad, we had a Royal American which I liked and Ebbtide made a buncha' smaller ones. Starcraft made a couple of really nice small boats.

From the '70s and '80s the question isn't really "who made tri-hulls," the question is "who didn't make tri-hulls." :)

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Imperials weren't bad, we had a Royal American which I liked and Ebbtide made a buncha' smaller ones. Starcraft made a couple of really nice small boats.

From the '70s and '80s the question isn't really "who made tri-hulls," the question is "who didn't make tri-hulls." :)

Ha! I suppose so. Though I don't see a whole lot of them for sale, really.

I'll try to compile a list, unless someone already beat me to it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'm curious, but why a tri-hull? Have you ridden in one on some decent chop? They have their advantages, i have to admit. (stable platform for fishing, very efficient with a smaller engine) but they also have one huge disadvantage, they will beat you to death in even small waves. And as far as a deck boat, that sounds like it might be something you may want to consider. Deck boats are larger, heavier, ride better, and obviously have more room. They are excellent fishing machines, better than a typical bow rider tri-hull.

southkogs

Staff member

...Though I don't see a whole lot of them for sale, really.
It'll be mostly finding what's there (Craiglslist, yard sales, newspaper, etc.) and checking it out. If you search for a specific brand, you'll be driving all over creation and back to get hold of it. Besides with 30 year old boats it's all about condition ... manufacturer doesn't mean a whole lot anymore.

I'm curious, but why a tri-hull?...
Smokingcrater's post triggered a thought: I'm a big tri-hull fan and actually bought my most recent boat specifically because I like 'em. But one thing that I do look for to help the ride is actually getting a "cathedral hull." There are a few different types of tri-hulls out there, when all three of the sponsons ( "V"s so to speak) are the same size that is a true tri-hull. Both of my boats (and many of the tri-hulls you'll find for sale) will have a larger center sponson (deeper and more pronounced). That's technically a cathedral hull. It'll help the ride in rougher water ... but it'll still be a teeth rattler if it gets real choppy.

HERE's a thread you may want to look through.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might go to fiberglassics.com and check out the brochure library.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might go to fiberglassics.com and check out the brochure library.

These are valid points.

Stability, the ability to ride in very thin water, and efficiency are what I'm looking for.

The only waves that I will be dealing with are boat wakes. Our rivers and lakes in WV are very small. Provided I can sit anchored out of a channel when a barge goes by, I'll be happy.

Deck boats seem to be much more expensive and have the classic "old people" styling of a pontoon -- plus it's harder to even find a small deck pat that's easily trailerable like a bowrider would be.

I have a 14' tri-hull right now that does everything I want, other than hold 6 people. I know how they respond in the waves I'll encounter around here.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a 1973 15 ft Glasspar tri-hull with a 65 hp evinrude on the back that thing would scoot . But it did beat the life outa me holding a drink was outa the question. With a pregnate wife had to get rid of it i have a 17 ft critchfield v hull now an we love it

aspeck

Staff member

I am thinking your definition of skinny water and mine are different. When I think of skinny water I am thinking 2 - 3 inches of water and want a reinforced flatbottom metal hull or an inflatable with a jet pump on the end of my outboard.

Most of the manufacturers made the fish and ski combos ... even Skeeter, if I recall correctly.

Here is a 1993 Astro that is probably close to what you are looking for, correct? (And before I get flamed, I know it is not a tri-hull, but it will take a smaller draft and is probably along the lines of setting the op is looking for ... just for clarification)

1993-astro-boats-18-fsx--1.jpg

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am thinking your definition of skinny water and mine are different. When I think of skinny water I am thinking 2 - 3 inches of water and want a reinforced flatbottom metal hull or an inflatable with a jet pump on the end of my outboard.

Most of the manufacturers made the fish and ski combos ... even Skeeter, if I recall correctly.

Here is a 1993 Astro that is probably close to what you are looking for, correct?

1993-astro-boats-18-fsx--1.jpg

Correct! Other than the seating. I'll be doing most of my fishing from the stern (catfishing). It's one of te main reasons I'm not big on pontoons and deck boats -- that most of the weight has to be in the back they don't go properly.

I want the back of the boat to be pretty open. Maybe I'm looking for a walleye boat like a deep vee. . . . I dunno

aspeck

Staff member

I know, this is way newer, but just getting ideas ... this is the X24 Catfish Xpress ... is this more of the floorplan you are looking for? Just throwing out ideas to get your creative juices flowing ...

images

images

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Was thinking the same... The difference in practical running draft of a trihull and a comparable size modified shallow v hull is going to be negligible, if at all. Neither of which are skinny water boats, both have props hanging down. Both are going to get into trouble at the same time.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Modified shallow v? I'll have to look into those.

By skinny water I mean 18" . . . .

Yes the xpress catfish boats, particularly the x24 is what I'm looking to get (or create with the right platform).

But I don't need a 24 and I don't have $50k (I have closer to $5k. Heheheh)

I think steering wheel towards the front is what I'm looking for, too.

saumon

Lieutenant

When speaking of cathedral hull, you might consider the 1976-2002 Boston Whaler "smirked" 17 hull (ie Montauk). Built to last with everything you were asking for...
montaukBow384x229.jpeg
On that same hull, the Newport model, with full windshield and side console, is more family friendly than the center console fishing oriented Montauk.

Different than glass over wood hulls for weight, handling and repairs...

southkogs

Staff member

... On one our old tri-hulls there were two slots built into the gunwales on either side of the boat just forward of the motor splash well ... they were down-rigger slots. We didn't fish outta' that boat much (the previous owner put those slots in), but that boat was a fantastic trollin' boat. We never used a kicker on it, but I can only imagine how smooth she'd have been with one.

Calolina Skiff is another boat you can consider. It's more of a center console fishing boat (you're looking to seat six), but it'll do skinny water pretty nicely.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is all very helpful. I guess a shallow-v with windshield would suffice as well.

Hey - I have another question . . . Not much of a digression really. Has anyone ever heard of buying one of these old boats from Lanier in dawsonville, GA? Seems like they have a huge selection of old boats. But are they all so much in disrepair that it's not worth the trouble?

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am with you on this. My dad's old boat (67 - 71 Glasspar tri-hull - not sure of the model) was 16.5 feet with an outboard 60 horse. we fit 6 easily with 2 back to back seats and the open bow. It was super stable and was great for fishing in "skinny water" I think we floated her in 12-14 inches many times. In the local waters here in KS and MO it does not strike me as having ridden any rougher than my 18 foot deep v.
boat1.jpg

Keep looking for what you really want and you will find it.
I truly wish I'd never sold this old boat. I want it back now very badly.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm maybe I can get away with a 16 or 17 footer

Yeah I love my 14 tri hull. It's perfect for 2 people and goes about 23mph fully loaded with a 20hp outboard -- and believe me you don't want to go much than that!

I'm not in a hurry but I also have the luxury of being able to buy it when I see it, too considering the wife is the one who wants it!!